Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't refresh web page

• Please log in to reply

geblues

geblues

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I seem to have a problem refreshing web pages. I've gone and cleared everything, deleted files, history, finally ended up with all of my favourites all gone (by mistake) I can't go back in time using system resore.

I'm using windows XP Professional.

I have forum web pages that I can't update. I have tried "refresh" right clicked on the page and "refresh" Control and F5 control and R.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get a difference by clicking tools. internet options. settings to change the check for newer version to each visit to the page or each time you start Internet Explorer

Edited by Keith, 06 August 2005 - 05:59 AM.

geblues

geblues

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It is on "automatically", I did try checking the box for "every visit to the page", but it didn't make a difference. Which one should it be? I had this problem a year or so ago and I can't remember what solved it. I just can't refresh pages, the travel forums that I go on haven't been updated since yesterday morning when I got off them.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Mine is automatically but every visit or each time you open IE should have made a difference

When you have a minute, click start, run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to check the system files.

Go to Microsoft Update from the link to check you have everything for IE

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Look at repairing IE

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;318378

geblues

geblues

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
o.k. Finally,

I first tried to run scf/scannow, it sais that windows couldn't find it. So I then downloaded all of the updates, which took a couple of hours (seemed to be running a little slow). Didn't reboot like it said so that I didn't get disconnected from the internet so I then went on to your last tem about reinstalling or repairing IE and came to your original suggestion...Could not find scf/scannow.

Hmmmm... Next?

Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
cant refresh?? this means you are getting a blank page or the original page? How do you know the page is not getting refreshed w/F5, etc? Can i assume these are NOT secure (HTTPS) pages?

What is your OS, internet connection (dsl, cable, dial, etc), ?

P2E

I seem to have a problem refreshing web pages.  I've gone and cleared everything, deleted files, history, finally ended up with all of my favourites all gone (by mistake) I can't go back in time using system resore.

I'm using windows XP Professional.

I have forum web pages that I can't update.  I have tried "refresh" right clicked on the page and "refresh"  Control and F5 control and R.

Any suggestions?

View Post

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is specifically typed sfc space /scannow

sfc /scannow

geblues

geblues

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks Keith,

the space worked. Everything seems to be going o.k now. I appreciate your help. This has been a great forum, it's helped me a lot without even having to ask a question before.

have a great day,

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank you for letting me know