Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iexplore will not launch

• Please log in to reply

jadeinATL

jadeinATL

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am having the exact same problem as September on my wife's computer. (running XP Home) I plan to follow the steps Darth Ash is giving him, but my wife's version was an OEM and not an upgrade which may make a difference.

Help me Darth, you're my only hope.

(Well, maybe not only, but I don't want to have to reformat the computer.)

Oh yeah, I should mention that I have downloaded the Windows Spyware beta and run it, and then purchased (ouch) Registry Mechanic and run it. No impact on the problem. Nortons is running on the computer and is current and up-to-date. before installing Windows Spyware, I had run Spybot.

Edited by jadeinATL, 06 August 2005 - 07:25 AM.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
I was not talking about the Version of XP (i.e. OEM, Upgrade or Retail).
I asked him whether he had upgraded to SP2 or whether SP2 was pre-installed on his PC.
U may follow the same steps if u upgraded to SP2. Otherwise if ur PC came pre-installed with SP2 (usually for people who have purchaced Xp in the last 2-3 months), u can insert ur Windows XP CD and follow the steps.

Edited by darth_ash, 06 August 2005 - 08:10 AM.

jadeinATL

jadeinATL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks. My computer was loaded with SP1 which I subsequently upgraded. I followed the steps and, as far as I can tell, the reinstall went through, but I still get the error when I try to launch ie.

I see Maverickfan is having the same problem as September and me. Looks like something contagious.

Edited by jadeinATL, 06 August 2005 - 08:23 AM.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Can u post a HJT log.

Also, did u follow the steps i asked september in his topic in Post#2

Edited by darth_ash, 06 August 2005 - 08:33 AM.

jadeinATL

jadeinATL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I did do the steps. However, I did some searching while I was waiting for your reply and found a reference to a similar problem at another forum. They had solved the problem by uninstalling the google toolbar. I just tried it and it worked. IE started up. (Actually I uninstalled google toolbar and MSN Music Assistant.)

Kind of strange since Google toolbar has been on there for a year or more, but since it worked...

Found it here.

http://forums.wugnet...pict400785.html

thx!

Edited by jadeinATL, 06 August 2005 - 09:08 AM.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
No, thank U for letting us know that this problem can also be caused by BHOs.

jadeinATL

jadeinATL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Now aren't I bustin' with pride! I'm glad a dummy like me could contribute.

This is a great resource. Believe me, I'll be back.

jade - looking for shade in the - ATL