Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD rom reads cd not DVD

• Please log in to reply

Quillander

Quillander

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I got a cheap dvdrom. the dvdrom have been used alot with other games. I Installed a new sata hdd and OS. Now the dvd will not read DVDs only CDs. DVDrom is listed as an CD-rom player. And i have tryed the cdgone patch the others are taking about. Is there a problem between win2000 and my Silicon Raid Sata hdd and my dvdrom.

anybody know about a cure???

From Quillander

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
I can't guarentee a cure, but we can go through some basic troubleshooting.

did the dvdrom ever work with the new sata drive and OS?

have you looked at the dvd in device manager? any yellow "!" or red "X"?

Quillander

Quillander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
nope, dvd have never worked with the new sata drive and OS, and there are no markings in the device manager. I have tryed the dvd rom in Linux to, but will not work, just like a bad CD

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
was the Linux test done on another PC, or was it tested on the PC with the sata hdd?

here are a couple of things to try:
1. remove the dvd from device manager, power off the PC, disconnect the cables from the dvd, power up the PC, look at device manager, power off the PC, reconnect the cables to the dvd, power up the PC, look at device manager, retest the dvd
2. try the dvd in a PC which has IDE devices

Quillander

Quillander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Okay, win2000 is on the sata and Linux is on IDE, Dual boot.
DVD-rom is IDE. I Did use my dvd-rom when I where only useing IDE HDD. Anyway, I did the things to try, but no. When I rebooted after reconnectig my dvd-rom, win2000 did find a cd-rom. BUT, before I got to read your tips I tryed my dvd at a frinds pc and it did run and load, so it did on my pc after that, once, and never again. Is this a case of bad motherboard or bad dvd-rom. Have not tryed any other dvd-roms on my pc

Quillander

Quillander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Some more info for you.
DVD-rom reads the content of the disk but, extreamly slow. 1x speed???
And lunching software form it will not work.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

I tryed my dvd at a frinds pc and it did run and load

to clarify, it installed as a dvdrom and read dvds? if this is true, then we need to do some research on requirements for sata hdd(could require mother board drivers or new bios).

if the dvdrom installed as a cdrom on the other PC, then try getting new drivers for the dvdrom.

if the dvdrom did not work in another PC, then replace it.

the motherboard is probably ok. make sure to take electrostatic discharge precautions when handling PC components.

Quillander

Quillander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
dvdrom did install as a cd-rom in both PC's, and I will search for a new driver.

Quillander

Quillander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have been searching for a driver, meanwhile my dvd-rom have been working fine at coldboot once a while, and there have been some strange smell my dvd. I think, getting a new one is in order...

Thank you so very mutch for all your help.....

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
you're welcome. good luck with the new dvdrom.