Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd media

• Please log in to reply

hughbie

hughbie

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
ok, here's my prob

i have invested in a new dvd/cd burner and video capture to turn all my vhs format movies into dvd. something i didn't notice until later........that MOST of my vhs movies are a bit over two hours long and all the dvd media (both + & - ) are 120 minutes worth of data (4.7 gig).

is there any media out there that will hold more than 120 minutes of data?

my burner is NOT dual layer. that is not an option.

since all you fine folks have helped me on my system tweaks i thought i would try you out on this project.

thanx
hughbie

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
4.7gb is the largest size in a single layer DVD. However, you can fit more than 2 hours of video, depending on the bitrate you encode it at. What software are you using?

hughbie

hughbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
i use pinnacle studio 9 version 9.3.5

i capture my video from vhs in a zenith 4 head hi-fi stereo vcr through a Dazzle video creator 150 through usb 2.0 to my cell computer.

call me old fashioned or out of date/touch, but..............

you'll have a lot of explaining to do if you can tell me/convince me that when i record a movie that runs 136 minutes it will fit into a dvd that holds 120 minutes of data. it only seems to me that i would have to go into the movie and edit out a few minutes here and there to get it to fit.

i would

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'm afraid I've never used Pinnacle Studio. I currently use Ulead DVD MovieFactory3. However, most DVD authoring software should have settings to adjust MPEG settings before burning the DVD. Adjusting the compression, bit rate, and screen size can all affect the amount of data that cam be put on a DVD. 180 minutes should be very possible with little loss in quality.

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
:D I have the same setup that you have, Pinnacle is great for capturing, but for burning onto a CD is just not possible with the program. I have played around with a 1 hour video taken from VHS and it turned out to be over 4 gigs. Any amount of playing with the settings resulted in wasting time.

For a great program, easy features, three steps to compress your file, free for 15 days is Dr.Divx found at http://www.divx.com/divx/drdivx/ :D

When you are encoding your file, you can let the program choose how large a file, select how large you want the file, where to store it, blah, blah. You will be able to get your file onto a cd that will work on almost any DVD player. Just one thing, set it up and let it go when you go to bed, the one hour video took slighly more than 2 hours to encode, but the video is excellent. <_<

hughbie

hughbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
SPANKME..........i think i'll try out the free version of drdvix and see how i like it. i've tried many different settings on pinnacle but to no avail either.

it really sucks that the software that you get with hardware doesn't do what it's supposed to eh?

i guess it's another way of sucking more and more money outta ya pocket.

i'll let ya know how it goes.

<_<

hughbie

hughbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
admin thanx for your input. i guess i might end up having to try and purchase ulead or something.

it's sooooooooooo frustrating!

<_<

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hughbie

You will have to use another program to get your video files down to the size to fit onto a cd. I can and have burnt a dvd with Pinnacle with no problems, it just cannot bring the file size down small enough to fit onto a cd.

Try Dr.Divx and I think you will be impressed. <_< you will be able to get your files onto a cd.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Another possible option. Does Pinnacle provide the option to save the DVD files to your hard disk instead of burning to a DVD? If so, you could use a free program to fit it on to a single DVD. DVDShrink.

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Admin

Pinnacle is a pretty good program, it is a three step process, 1 Capture the video, 2. Edit, able to add your own features and soundtracks or hack out frames that you don't want, 3 Create file, you can burn directly to DVD, CD (if enough room) or put the file onto your HD. It's just when capturing the video the files can get large, I can't remember the exact specs and it is recommended to capture the file on a seperate HD that the OS or Pinnacle.

You can quit after the capturing process and have the file on your HD to play with.

Here is a good link if you want to look into the program more. http://www.pinnacles...501&Langue_ID=7