Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive: Master File Table Unreadable

• Please log in to reply

affliction

affliction

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have two hard drives and yesterday, for no reason whatsoever, I started having trouble with the slave drive. I turned on the PC and, during boot, the scandisk program came up and said it was going to check the drive for inconsistencies. However, before it could begin, the error "Master File Table Unreadable" comes up and the program closes and continues loading windows.

Now, once I get into windows, my E drive is unreadable, and if I click on it in My Computer, it takes like 30 seconds to read it and ends up asking me if I want to format the drive. No files or folders seem to be there.

It also seems to be slowing down my entire system, as it likes to abrubtly hang in short intervals, making the whole thing feel very choppy.

My question is, is there any way to salvage the date on this second hard drive? There is so much stuff on there I couldn't stand to lose.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
without the master file table windows of course does not know where the files are :-S.
i found a simular situation. they rebuilt the hard drive (scans the whole hard drive and makes a new master file table) hdd master file table curruption