Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DNS error at microsoft.com

• Please log in to reply

boeck

boeck

• Pip
  • 1 posts
We have 3 computers on DSL. One computer is working fine. It is not the host and not a wireless. The 2 not working correctly are the host and the wireless compter. Our router is Linksys.
The host and the wireless computers cannot access certain websites. Some of the sites are all microsoft websites, ebay and macromedia.

What do I do to fix this problem?

FYI: I am pretty computer illiterate when it comes to networking.

Edited by boeck, 06 August 2005 - 11:51 AM.

Advertisements

Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
bOECK,

Not sure what you mean "host"... since you have a router, i would guess you are not running a proxy server. in any case, to simplify, you have 3 computers (2 wired, 1 wireless) connected to a dsl modem - yes?? you have 1 computer that can surf anywhere and 2 others that can do the same EXCEPT microsoft, macromedia, ebay, etc - yes?

on either restricted system, goto dos (START>RUN>cmd [enter]) and enter "PING macromedia.com" ... look for 4 replies. If 4replies, tryo to surf by ip (216.104.212.88). If "can not find host..." enter "ipconfig/flushdns"; then enter ipconfig/registerdns... try again "ping macromedia.com"

P2E

We have 3 computers on DSL. One computer is working fine. It is not the host and not a wireless. The 2 not working correctly are the host and the wireless compter. Our router is Linksys.
The host and the wireless computers cannot access certain websites. Some of the sites are all microsoft websites, ebay and macromedia.

What do I do to fix this problem?

FYI: I am pretty computer illiterate when it comes to networking.

View Post

Clarissa

Clarissa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, I've tried this and it didn't work. I'm using windows XP btw.
I did get the four replies but I couldn't connect using Macromedia's Ip.
I tried it again, and it still doesn't work.... and the site I'm trying to go to doesn't work either...

Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Clarissa,

Good news.... your 4replys indicate that (1) your dns server & your NIC are fine... Also, your PC can obvioulsy connect with Macromedia.com in DOS land. Guess what, that leaves Windows or your browser as the culprit. I have seen this problem (too) many times :tazz:

To initially check Windoze, I woudl 1st check your host file... What is your OS?

Also to confirm the browser side of the problem, do you have an alternate (netscape, firefox, avant, etc) browser you can try? If not - enter www.macromedia.com into MyComputer's address bar....

P2E

Ok, I've tried this and it didn't work. I'm using windows XP btw.
I did get the four replies but I couldn't connect using Macromedia's Ip.
I tried it again, and it still doesn't work.... and the site I'm trying to go to doesn't work either...

View Post

Clarissa

Clarissa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My operating system is Windows XP Home Edition. But how do I check my host file?

Also my browser originally was Internet Explorer, but I downloaded a Netscape browser which I use now that IE doesn't work anymore.

Edited by Clarissa, 16 August 2005 - 05:30 PM.

Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
goto DOS (Start>Run>enter "cmd" [ok]...
enter "findstr /b/i/s/v "#" hosts"

As a norm the only legit line in the hosts file is "127.0.0.01 localhost". As example of a hacked hosts entry would be "127.0.0.1 www.macromedia.com." This line translate macromedia.com to your local computer, therefore you will be unable surf - via browser - to macromedia.com...

Understand :tazz: ?? Confused ?? :)

P2E

My operating system is Windows XP Home Edition. But how do I check my host file?

Also my browser originally was Internet Explorer, but I downloaded a Netscape browser which I use now that IE doesn't work anymore.

View Post

Clarissa

Clarissa

• Pip
  • 3 posts

goto DOS (Start>Run>enter "cmd" [ok]... 

As a norm the only legit line in the hosts file is "127.0.0.01  localhost". As example of a hacked hosts entry would be "127.0.0.1    www.macromedia.com."  This line translate macromedia.com to your local computer, therefore you will be unable surf - via browser - to macromedia.com...

Understand  :) ?? Confused ?? :)
P2E

View Post

Yea I'm cofused.
So, do I the # sign with the sites Ip? and change the 'host" with the site name???...:tazz:
Sorry I don't really understand, I'm kinda still just a kid and I don't know alot about things like this.

Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Sorry, I am been working a oneliner that makes ir "ez" to read the hosts file and display possible rogue entries.

findstr (command)
/b (match pattern from beginning of line)
/i (do a non case sensitive search)
/s (include search path to include the directory & its sub-directories)
/v (output matches that do NOT include the search string)
"#" (the search string)
hosts (the filenames to be searched)

at DOS, enter the following command EXACTLY as follows..
findstr /b/i/s/v "#" hosts

Sorry, for the confusion, no way to know the techie level of posters. :)

P2E

Yea I'm cofused.
So, do I the # sign with the sites Ip? and change the 'host" with the site name???...:tazz:
Sorry I don't really understand, I'm kinda still just a kid and I don't know alot about things like this.

View Post