Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two computers on one modem

• Please log in to reply

crazy_man

crazy_man

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have two computers connected on the same modem. Are they supposed to have the same IP address on both? When I look them up on the "What's my IP" they are the same, but if I look them up on the individual computer through my DSL provider they are different.

I understand that the "host" of a game or a site is able to read my IP address in order to ban certain players. When this happens, which one does he read, the one from the provider or the one listed on "MY IP address"? I don't want both computers to be the same as there are different people using them and we should not be confused as one person. I wouldn't want to get barred from a site because the kids who are using the other computer misbehaves.

My understanding is that if someone is "locked out" it is because the IP is blocked, so again, which one shows up on their end?? :tazz:

Thanks

Edited by crazy_man, 06 August 2005 - 12:00 PM.

Advertisements

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
HI crazy_man and welcome to Geeks to Go!

You will have two IP's:

1) One (the one you see from whatismyip.com) will be a globally routable IP from your ISP which all the machines behind your router/firewall will share using a technique called NAT (Network Address Translation)...Outside IP

2) Each machine on your network will have a unique, private IP prolly looking like 192.168.x.x. These are private non routable IP's....Inside IP

If you are looking to host a game for example, you would give players the outside IP. You then have to configure your router to port forward the ports required by the game to the machine on which the game client/server software is sitting.

Hope this helps!
cya, SD

crazy_man

crazy_man

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your reply, but I am still not sure I understand.

Is it true that you can be locked out of a game or chat room,etc, . by them banning your IP address, and if so which IP do they see...the provider IP (like Verizon or SBC-which each computer on the same modem is a different number) or the "this is your IP address" address???

:( ;) :) :tazz:

Santos446

Santos446

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks for your reply, but I am still not sure I understand.

Is it true that you can be locked out of a game or chat room,etc, . by them banning your IP address,  and if so which IP do they see...the provider IP (like Verizon or SBC-which each computer on the same modem is a different number) or the "this is your IP address" address???

:(  ;)  :)  :tazz:

View Post

I believe, and I assume you're using a router, that the IP they will see is the IP that appears on whatismyIP. As I understand it, that is the IP that appears to outsiders.

However, I also understand that if you do not have a static IP from you ISP, then the IP that appears to outsiders will change each time you sign-in.

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Yes, the outside IP is the one that could/will be banned. Your ISP will have a predetermined amount of time that you have this IP (referred to as dynamic IP) and at various points in time, that IP will change.

cya, SD

crazy_man

crazy_man

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
So, what you are saying, is that ALL the computers hooked on to that providers modem, either plugged in or wireless would show the same IP address and be banned if one is??

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Yes

cya, SD

crazy_man

crazy_man

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks. You've been a great help : :tazz:

Just wondering what the other IP aaddress is for.

Edited by crazy_man, 07 August 2005 - 09:56 PM.