Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comp Froze At Windows Shutting Down process

• Please log in to reply

Znender

Znender

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello,
After recently purchasing my HP Pavilion Desktop a1006n, I used it for a month and loaded quite a bit of files and progs onto it.
It worked quite well until recently i discovered a strange occurance on the comp.
Upon shutting down the comp, when it enters the login screen and stated that Windows Is Shutting Down, it freezes right there and i couldn't reboot the comp but was forced to use the power button to turn it off.
I couldn't find a definate solution to the problem on the internet and so i was wondering if u can help me?

thanks.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Windows installs updates at shutdown and some of the updates don't install together. You might try turning of automatic updates and doing it manually.

Znender

Znender

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
it's not updates.
I know tat because i set the updates and my comp always warn me of the updates.
the comp just freezes completely when it reaches Windows Is Shutting Down.
It still occurs.

Znender

Znender

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
*bump*

Znender

Znender

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
After checking it out more.
I found out that the comp shut down but then the power is still on.
and the screen still displayed the shutting down part.
anyone know anything about it?

trodas

trodas

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
ACPI support in BIOS.
Try enabling support for more recent ACPI specifications.

Winblows for sure installed something wrong (warn did not meant that M$ can't deploy fixes it think are critical and need to "fix" your machine - and as you see, it "fixed it"... ;) ) that did not properly shut the ACPI controled mobo down.

PS. power off did not mean much, there is still voltage to support Wake Up calls and such :tazz: I switching then machine off from the power line completely using own switch - witch also shut down the pump (watercooling), monitor, printer and sound system.

Znender

Znender

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
well, when the comp is shutting down, the comp just goes frozen instead of turning off.
the mouse didn't work, and when i tried to restart the comp it just froze and didn't reboot.

Znender

Znender

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks for the help but after trying to use the PC Recovery it displayed the error message of
Stop: c000021a
so i searched the net and found out tat it was my recent installation of Norton GoBack tat was messing up my comp. i uninstalled it and it's working perfectly now.
thanks for the help