Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing a graphics card

• Please log in to reply

eastrise15

eastrise15

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I just bought a ati radeon 9250 graphics card and i am having major problems that i cannot figure out myself

i put in the cd it came with and installed everything before i began the hardware installation

next i turned off the computer opened the case and installed the card, i made sure the card was in all the way

now i connected the cords back and tried to turn on my comp

it only got to the microsoft windows xp black screen, loaded for a while and then froze up

i have no idea what is wrong

my comp is a

hp 3.06 GHz
160 gb hard drive
512 mb ram
and it says on the sticker on the front that it has an intel graphics media accelerator 900 with 128 mb of memory

please help , im soooo beyond frustrated

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Can you boot to safe mode? Repeatedly tap the F8 key while you're booting... (do this before the time the windows spash screen would normally show)

Once in Safe mode, go to Control panel and uninstall the vid card software.

Restart your machine and let XP detect your card again. It will install what ever software it has, and if you don't want to use that, then just install your own.

By the way... vid cards are not installed like some usb devices where you install the software "before" you connect the device. Vid cards require detection by windows before you install the drivers.

makai

eastrise15

eastrise15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
got it up in safe mode, where do you uninstall the drivers

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

got it up in safe mode, where do you uninstall the drivers

Go to Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs.

makai

eastrise15

eastrise15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
i uninstalled the intel extreme graphics driver and it went passed the splash screen, loaded the desktop, then the screen went blank

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Try reinstalling the original vid card and booting up.

eastrise15

eastrise15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok didnt i just uninstall that though?

that intel graphics chip/card what ever it is came with the computer so i dont know anything about it

when i boot up it keeps finding the intel chip instead of the new radeon one

then it goes blank

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You said you just installed an ati radeon 9250 graphics card. I assumed you removed an old graphics card when you installed the new one. I guess my assumption was incorrect.

Did your computer come with an onboard graphics card on the motherboard?

If it did, you need to enter bios and change the video detection from on-board to PCI or AGP.

Edited by makai, 06 August 2005 - 03:53 PM.

trodas

trodas

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Somehow I believe you did not disabled the onboard GFX card into your BIOS, so that's why XP get confused and hang up on you... :tazz:

If this is not the case, then please test your card into another computer :)
Might be faulty. My BFG 6800OC was, but hey, it was too obvious from the very first sight:

Posted Image

:( ;)

eastrise15

eastrise15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Did your computer come with an onboard graphics card on the motherboard?

im assuming it did because i saw no other video card in one of the three slots that i could put my new graphics card (there are three one is being used by the modem and the other two were empty when i opened the case)

If it did, you need to enter bios and change the video detection from on-board to PCI or AGP.

im not sure what bios is, is it a command that you input from the "run" in start menu or is it something else?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

im not sure what bios is

Bios stands for Basic Input/Output System

The job of bios is to check certain things before the OS is loaded. Things like keyboard, vid card, cpu, memory, etc.

Warning... be careful what changes you make in bios. While not drastically unrecoverable, it can mean your computer will not boot until you reset the bios.

To get into bios requires you to continually hit the delete key, or F1, or F10 keys (depending on your computer make). You do this before the windows splash screen is displayed.

Once you get into bios, you may see tabs, or a menu list like you see in Windows explorer at the top of the screen. Use the arrow keys, and the page up, and page down keys to navigate the different bios screens.

Look for a bios entry somewhere that allows you to choose what type of adapter to use... on-board, PCI, AGP. Change it to AGP.

To save the bios information, just hit the F10 key. A window may pop up and ask for confirmation to save and exit bios. Confirm Yes. Your computer will then restart.

makai

Edited by makai, 06 August 2005 - 07:21 PM.

eastrise15

eastrise15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
found what you are talking about,

it says primary video adapter->but there are only two options

onboard and pci, it is currently set at pci

eastrise15

eastrise15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
found what you are talking about,

it says primary video adapter->but there are only two options

onboard and pci, it is currently set at pci

so i cant change it to agp

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hmmm... maybe your bios doesn't support AGP. I guess if you installed the card into the mb AGP slot, your bios should support it.

You may have to go to HP and download/update your bios. Try calling HP and find out from them if your computer will even support this new card. I cannot think of a way to help you install it beyond recommending you to change the bios to AGP so it can be detected.

Call HP and post back what you find out. I am very curious myself.

By the way, if you pull the card out, will your computer boot up? You may have to select on-board adapter in the bios before it does.

makai

eastrise15

eastrise15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
yea my computer works normally without the card in

one thing tho, when i do get it to boot up it finds a new video card (the one the computer came with) and reinstalls the driver for it, so i am led to beleive the hardware is still in there

and i dont know how to nor do i want to mess with the motherboard before i know exactly what i need to do