Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSoD Problem

• Please log in to reply

Abyssknight

Abyssknight

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This little SoB here,

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

Is preventing my computer from booting up. I cannot enter the recovery console. I can't reinstall my OS. I can't enter safe mode. I can't do anything. This error shows up all the time, too.

This error was 'produced' when I was simply going through my playlist in Windows Media Player. I then switched over to internet explorer, but any click I made would not execute. Eventually, my whole computer froze, and I pressed the reset button on my computer. When Windows XP was loading, the error occurred. I tried restarting again, but to no avail.

I have read the sticky but the information displayed there has given me no assistance. I haven't added any new hardware in a while, so this is out of question. The error did not display any specific file or folder. It suggested me to disable caching options in BIOS, which I did, although that didn't work. I removed a stick of ram from my computer, and that didn't work, either. Finally, I ran Memtest86, only to discover that I don't have any errors in my ram. ;_;

So, I turn to you guys. Any suggestions?

In case it's any helpful, my computer specs are:

Intel Pentium IV 2.4c @800Mhz
2x512 Samsung RAM (Dual channel)
Seagate Serial ATA 80 GB Hard Drive @7200 RPM
(I have no clue what my CD RW drive is. -.-)
Nvidia Geforce FX5800 (Quite possibly the most obscure card in the world >.>)
MSI 865PE Neo2 Motherboard (Using onboard LAN and sound)

Thanks.

Edited by Abyssknight, 06 August 2005 - 02:48 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

I'm sure you searched the web to find that this fault normally points to memory... including L2 cache.

The only thing I can recommend is that you remove "all" peripheral devices, and bring you pc down to bare minimum devices... vid card, 1 ram module, keyboard, mouse, monitor, hd, powersupply. Remove connections from everything else... including your cd drives, router, modem... everything.

Hopefully, you can find some device causing the problem.

makai

Abyssknight

Abyssknight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I will make an attempt at this once my brother comes home, because I don't want to try anything too drastic without his consent.

However, this BSoD reminds me of another which I've had many times before, that being "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME." Whenever I had it, I would simply do "chkdsk /r" to get rid of it; this was not a permanent solution though. I've experienced it at least five times in the past.

The solution pasted in the BSoD sticky mentioned replacing the cable connected to the hard drive. I was just wondering, though: if I did this, would this possibly fix the "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA" BSoD as well?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

The solution pasted in the BSoD sticky mentioned replacing the cable connected to the hard drive. I was just wondering, though: if I did this, would this possibly fix the "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA" BSoD as well?

When troubleshooting, you sometimes have to try everything... even IDE cables.

In fact, while building my brother's computer recently, I noted that the Hard drive led showed no activity. No problem, I thought, I probably just connected the led connector backwards. Well, after reversing the led connector, it still didn't work. I knew the mb was good, the hd was good, and the case was good... it came down to the IDE cable. After changing the IDE cable, the led worked normally. It happens!

Post back later and let us know how it goes.

makai