Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Which Spyware and Virus Apps?

• Please log in to reply

WingRider

WingRider

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have currently installed on my XP Prof. box:

Advanced System Optimizer 2
Ewido Security Suite
HijackThis 1.99.1 and Hijackthis 1.99.1 (other than spelling not sure why there are 2?)
Macafee VirusScan Enterprise
Microsoft Anti Spyware
Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 2.0
SpyBot

I am told that I should install:

SpyWareBlaster
SpyWareGuard
IE/SpyAd
Replace Hosts file

Can anyone PLEASE tell me which apps are/aren't compatible so I can start cleaning house before installing the suggested apps? :tazz:

Any advise is much appriciated. Thanks!!! ;) :)

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I personally use...

AdAware
Spybot
Spywareblaster
CWShredder... although it seems quite ineffective since changing owners
HijackThis
McAfee Stinger
CCleaner... be careful, quite aggressive and can mess you up!
Zone Alarm firewall
FireFox

These are the only things I rely on for keeping spyware off my machine. I don't use IE at all and find that most people are reluctant to leave IE although IE is the number one cause of getting infected! Someday, people will learn!

By choice, you have to decide what to use... here's a LINK to some of the things GTG recommends.

regards,
makai

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
I use -

ZoneAlarm Firewall
Norton AntiVirus 2005
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta1
Ad-Aware SE Personal
CWShredder
WinPatrol
IE Spyad
Enough Is Enough!
SpywareBlaster
a-squared
Mozilla Firefox
Deer Park Alpha 2
Mozilla Thunderbird
Opera
HijackThis

Plus, I occasionally do a quick scan and fix with WinASO Registry Optimizer to get rid of any obsolete entries from my registry. I also use CleanUp! to erase temporary files from the system in a jiffy.

I've never used SpywareGuard before, and I don't plan on doing so, since reviews I've read of it constantly rat on the fact that it hasn't been updated in ages. For that reason alone I've been steering clear of it, since I have this notion that no program, however wonderful, will be able to offer sufficient protection without suitable periodic updates.

However, I highly recommend you get both IE Spyad and SpywareBlaster. The former adds a list of known website 'baddies' into your Internet Explorer Restricted Sites list, to prevent them from taking over your computer completely should you accidentally come by one of them. SpywareBlaster does pretty much the same thing - only difference is, it offers protection for Mozilla Firefox as well.

Also, I agree with makai about the whole IE thing...I never use IE now, and nobody else should have to either. People go on and on about how Windows Updates won't be able to run properly without IE, which is total rubbish in my opinion. Any important updates you need for Windows XP will download themselves onto your system just fine if you have Automatic Updates set to the recommended setting, IE or no IE. I even have Internet Explorer locked down on a semi-permanent basis with Enough Is Enough!, and I don't plan on unlocking it anytime soon.

Edited by cassykins, 06 August 2005 - 09:09 PM.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
I use:
Mozilla FireFox
McAfee Anitvirus
McAfee FireWall
Microsoft AntiSpyware
SpywareBlaster
HijackThis
Windows fireWall
Windows Anti-virus

Works fine for me!Im thinking of getting IE SpyPad and Ad-awre SE and also SpyBot S&D!
Regards RockyIV

Jayzeee

Jayzeee

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
It's advisable to have only 1 firewall running at a time, as they can conflict with each other. Same goes for Anti-virus too.

Jayzeee :tazz:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
Advanced System Optimizer 2
has trial version. most of this is freely available if you spend some time researching on the web. I don't recomend any system optimizers.

Ewido Security Suite
GTG recomends this one. its a very good tool for viri and adaware related issues.

HijackThis 1.99.1 and Hijackthis 1.99.1 (other than spelling not sure why there are 2?)
this is only a tool. when run it shows you a list of things running via the registry. this does not provide any protection.

Macafee VirusScan Enterprise
if work requires this, then you have to have it. however only one virus app is all you should run. they like to trod on each other. although ewido seems to be much better a tolerating it.

Microsoft Anti Spyware
decent active protection. free. change the default scan settings to full scan to be effective.

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 2.0
again this a tool. its usefull to make sure your microsoft patchs are installed properly.

SpyBot
great app. make sure you keep your defs updated. also includes some active protection called TeaTimer. Make sure you use the immuization feature.

I am told that I should install:

SpyWareBlaster
great app. by javacool software which also makes spyware guard. on GTG recomended list.
SpyWareGuard

IE/SpyAd
does the same thing that spybot does via its imunization.

Replace Hosts file
not needed.

ok now I don't see a firewall listed here. doesn't matter which one you use, even the firewall with sp2. You just gotta have one. if you want to know a good reason why... see why in my posted news article: http://www.geekstogo...und-t51695.html

[/I]

WingRider

WingRider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for all the advise! I will be installing some new detection!!!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
ok, thought I would add a little bit more detail:

forgot to mention adaware: great app. free, but has a purchase upgrade called adwatch.

spy sweeper by webroot and counter spy by sunbelt. both have trial period. both are really good at cleaning up spyware. bothh include active protection. and both cost $30 each.

firewall: service pack2 with its firewall, zone alarm, kerio, or sygate's firewall. there are plenty of choices, but these seem to be the most recomended.

and if you have any questions just come back and ask.