Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

tweaking fileopen size window

• Please log in to reply

trodas

trodas

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Guys, you all know the small (very small!) default size of winblows file (load, save) requester, right?

Okay, maybe I refresh your memory there:

Posted Image

Now, when I resize it, the IE window somehow remember it and unless I close it, it stays resized :tazz:
That's good. However, anyone know, witch registrer and how bend, so it will be bigger each time I or application open it - forever...?

I looking for register tweak to tweak the size (and perhaps position - more into middle I would like it much more) of this requester.

Anyone know?

(Win2k or XP)

Edited by trodas, 06 August 2005 - 05:15 PM.

Advertisements

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
A little bump for solution? :tazz: ;)

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Should be this, (not sure)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Document Windows

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you hold the control key down while you "click out" on the X, IE usually remembers the size of the window the next time it opens.

Johanna

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
darth_ash - nice try, but not working. Im affraid this is about IE window size, not the filerequester. I could be wrong, tough.
Vould you dig deeper, please? :(

Czarina - yep, but it does remember the size evn w/o this - except it forget all the time the position ;) :)

And when you close IE, all these things are lost again... :tazz: :(

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I heard that:

I think there are no tweak available for that, unless Microsoft has added one lately. I searched registry setting for this with Registry Monitor about year ago, but didn't find anything useful. It seems that only possible way to do it is to use Resource Hacker to edit dialog sizes. I think the file to be edited is commdlg.dll.

Sounds interesting, tought. Backing up the file and - now what to work/look where with the resource hacker? :cheers:

Can anyone take a look or suggest what to do? :tazz: ;)

I never used resource hacker, but Im still determined to find a solution :)

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
I personally use the following link for Resource hacking, u can find more details on the site: http://wint.virtualp...t/hackindex.php

P.S: Warning! Resource Hacking is very dangerous as it deals with modifying system files, pls. be very careful.

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
If I back up the comdlg32.dll file, nothing bad could happen to me :tazz: :)
(except maybe a temporary inability to use open dialog requester :) )

So I get the Resource hacker:
http://www.snapfiles...urcehacker.html

And start tweaking.

Copy comdlg32.dll to temporary folder and open it with Resource Hacker. Look for resources named as dialog with numbers 1552 and 1547. For example notepad uses dialog number 1547. When you select it, Resouce Hacker will show sample dialog box for you. Now you can either manually edit dialog size values from script or edit the sample dialog. Just drag dialog size bigger or move dialog elements. You see how numbers in script changes accordingly.

Souds pretty good to me :ph34r: :ph34r:

I keep you updated about the results :)

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Ya, Resource Hacker is an amazing tool.
I made some changes in explorer.exe, and they are turning out pretty handy.

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
OMG!!! It works!!!

I replaced the original using ERD commander - othervise the file is all time used, so locked, no modification possible. Now, tough, it work! [bleep]!

I post screenshot and the moded file soon!!!

LOL! It's fantastic!!! Great! Outstanding, hoooooray!!!! :ph34r:

Happy! :tazz: :tazz: :)

darth_ash - IE6? Or what modification? Tell me :) :ph34r: I might want it too, as IE user, so? :)

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Not IE6 but explorer.exe the Windows shell, i.e. ur desktop, start-menu etc.
U can go to the website I gave u earlier for some examples, after that u can modify it to ur desire.

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
darth_ash - okey, dokey. So, witch modification in explorer.exe you find handy? :ph34r: :tazz: Could there be set the max. lenght of the filename into the open requeste, for example? I dubt it. Winblows shortcuting it, but not this requester, so... At least it is big, well.
I took a look on the page already, but when I was the ultra-mini load/save requester I run of in panic, mate! :) :)
You know, Im like kill for BIG requester and then when you show my such small one, well, I run... :) :ph34r:

Screenshot of my modification of both load requesters:

Posted Image

(I modded the old compatible ones too, just to be sure I never saw somethign so so so little, so I don't know how to search for my file in this sh.t...)

And there is the moded file:
http://ax2.old-cans.com/comdlg32.zip

Use for W2k only. For XP you have to modify the file for yourself :)

Installation procedure. The file is locked. You can't delete it, but you can rename it. So, rename into the WinNT/system32 the comdlg32.dll file to for example comdlg32X.dll and load into the directory the new one. Reboot and enjoy the moded requester. You can then keep the org. backup of delete it, after the next reboot :tazz:

Enjoy!!! :tazz:

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Now - I suceed by enlarging the Load/Save dialog window - anyone know WITCH dll I have to edit to get enlarged the directory selection dialog??? This one:

Posted Image

I very much like to see it BIGGER :tazz:
Anyone, please???

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Thanks to user alrichey, the need dll was found. It is shell32.dll :woot:

There are a [bleep] lot's of to tweak, but if anyone want hit just the right ones, then go to the:

Dialog/1079
Dialog/1087

:woot:

Posted Image

:tazz: :) :)