Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding another SATA HARD Drive

• Please log in to reply

Mkhartabil

Mkhartabil

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,

I have an Intel D875PBZ motherboard, which have 2 SATA ports i have already one 120GB segate SATA Hard drive installed and it is working fine, i got a new Maxtor DiamondMax 10 again 120GB hard drive i tried to connect to the other port but the dos does not see it at all, even when i but it alone on the other port it does not work any ideas what can be the problem !!!

Really appreciate your help

Moh

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Try a different cable and make sure the cable for the drive isnt kinked or bent back on itself they wont work if they are. So its not seen in BIOS at all.

Mkhartabil

Mkhartabil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi ,

Tried that already, i used the same cable that used to work from the other Hard drive and it did not work, i used the new cable with the old hard drive and the bios see it fine, so it is not a cable issue.

Thanks
Moh

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hmm you are very limited to what you can do then if it is not being detected, i would just send it back and get another, when you buy electronic kit its manufacturing process is pretty hit and miss so you do get a few duffers in the mix they are usually happy to replace them so contact either where you bought it or direct to the manufacturer.

sprout

sprout

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ummm...the hard drive is new correct? Therefore it is not formatted.
Go to control panel>administrative tools>computer management>then under storage highlight disk management.
If the system is seeing the drive, you will see it listed on the right. Right click on the listing for the new drive and click "format"...you will want to specify partitions as well if you want more than one.
If this is the problem, please post here so we know it is resolved.