Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Can I store PC's out in the cold?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Fellow Geeks,
I just bought a truckload of old Pentium 2 PCs, servers, monitors, printers, etc, form a company that just upgraded and moved. The only room I have for all this is an unheated workshop I have behind my house. Will the cold (I live in SE Pennsylvania, so it gets down to 0 degress F on occassion, but usually no colder then 20F), damage these units?
I do realize that when I bring in a unit from the cold, to let it thaw out for a day or two so any condensation will evaporate.
Should I at least remove the hard drives and CDROMS from these? I can store those easy enough in my house.

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hello I dont know if this answers your question however this is the information i found so far.

Heating and Ventilation Systems - Improve Efficiency

Set the thermostat in your workspace to 68 degrees during work hours, and raise the setting to 55 degrees when the space is unoccupied. For every degree you lower the heat in the 60-degree to 70-degree range; you can save up to 5% on heating costs.

Use a programmable thermostat and make it easy to adjust the settings as well as regulate the temperature when you are closed to avoid unnecessary heating costs. Consider a locking cover over the thermostat to avoid having employees change temperature settings.

Open window blinds to warm your rooms from direct sunlight.

Allow your workers to wear warm clothing during cool weather. It makes little sense to keep a room hot enough that workers wear hot weather clothing.

To save energy, keep your exterior and freight doors closed as much as possible.

Keep your heating and ventilation systems tuned. Maintain a regular filter replacement and cleaning schedule. Don't forget to check ducts and pipe insulation.

Install ceiling fans - they circulate the warm air, pulling it away from the ceiling. Remember to change the fan rotation so it is reverse of your summer use.

When buying new heating and ventilation units - choose ENERGY STAR. They are 20 to 30 percent more efficient than older models.

Rewire restroom fans to operate with the lights.

When possible, remove solar screens, blinds or awning on the south and west facing windows to help increase heat gain, during the winter months. Replace during the Summer.

Insulate water heaters and supply pipes.

If possible, install ceiling and wall insulation. You will save money on your monthly utility bills and your employees will be more comfortable.

Check out the Energy Advisor for detailed information of other HVAC options.

Ill continue my search

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,490 posts
No problems I know of storing them in the cold. As you stated, just let them warm thoroughly as condensation can cause problems, especially with the hard drives.

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
<_< ...20F that's not even cold!!

Proud Canuck

(sorry but I HAD to say it.)