Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE and FirerFox?

• Please log in to reply

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Hey Guys, :tazz:
I have IE and itz causing many problems, so I thought of getting FireFox! since FireFox can't do all the things IE can do!Is it possible for me to use both of them at the same time and not stuff my computer up?
Regards RockyIV

Advertisements

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Sure you can download and run Firefox alongside Internet Explorer just fine. I currently have four browsers installed on this system - IE 6.0, which I'd gladly dump at any given point but can't, no thanks to XP's crazy integrations and things, the latest versions of both Mozilla Firefox and Opera, plus Deer Park Alpha 2, the beta release of the next generation Firefox browser. And nope, no problems for me whatsoever. :tazz:

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Thanks!I'll get it!
regards RockyIV

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Not bad!Itz seems a bit slow compared to IE! Well itz better than IE getting hacked!!
Regards RockyIV

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Not bad!Itz seems a bit slow compared to IE! Well itz better than IE getting hacked!!
Regards RockyIV

View Post

The more you use it the faster it will appear to get.
Ive had mine for a long time now and it blows IE out of the water.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
I agree with you phybyr0ptyk 100%! It has got atleast two times faster since I first used it!Thanks
Regards RockyIV

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Agreed. I too thought the same thing when I first made the switch from Internet Explorer to Firefox - Firefox was a heck slower to open, slower to load pages, slower to do just about everything, but I stuck it out. Now that I've gotten used to Firefox, I don't find it all that slow anymore. Opera is maybe a teensy bit faster, but I'm still, ultimately, sticking to Firefox. The last time I used IE to view an IE-only page, I was seriously horrified at its horrendously slow loading times. I've never once dared to return to Internet Explorer since. :tazz:

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Agreed!

becca77

becca77

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
But what's screwy is that you can't get windows updates with a Firefox browser. The microsoft updates site says you have to be using Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher.

Edited by becca77, 07 August 2005 - 05:43 AM.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
I think it was a post in this website. that someone mentioned that you can install Windows Updates using FireFox?
Regards RockyIV

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
I also got Netscape!Very good themes availble and quite good!Lots of features, So you have more control!
Regards RockyIV

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

But what's screwy is that you can't get windows updates with a Firefox browser. The microsoft updates site says you have to be using Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher.

That shouldn't be a problem for most Windows users at all, since the Automatic Updates feature on all XP systems should be turned on to the Recommended setting by default - at least, that is how it is with my computer. Once you have had that cleared, all important Windows Updates will be automatically downloaded and installed onto the PC, Internet Explorer or not.

The reason why people who attempt to retrieve their updates manually from the Windows Updates website through any browser other than IE fail to do so is because that feature requires Active X to work. Since Active X is supported only by Internet Explorer, users of Firefox won't be able to download the updates onto their computer through that website. Given the fact that Active X has been exploited goodness knows how many times to invade unsuspecting users' computers however, I tend to think of Firefox's lack of support for Active X as more of convenience, rather than a hassle. ^_^

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
That's something similar to what I saw! Thanks CassyKins!
regards RockyIV