Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Good Place to get music?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Oh ok, We might have one of those, I'll check with my dad and if he doesn't then I'll have to get Kazaa, because Limewire causing lots of trouble!
PS: How do you know if the song your getting is copyrighted?
Regards RockyIV

Advertisements

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Kazaa is a nasty product as well, it will isntall tons of spyware.

99.9% of songs are copyrighted

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Whoa!!Geez!!Ok Kazaa is out of the question!!Do you think that since I installed many of the anti-spyware products directed from this site that I can keep any malware in Limewire at it'z base and use Limewire without any problems?
Regards RockyIV

Justin

Justin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
I would not reccomend Kazaa or Limewire to anyone. if you need a p2p program, I would reccomend WinMX, but iTunes is the safest way to go.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Ok Thanks WinMX is it just www.winmx.com? or something else and when I try iTunes my computer says it is not safe to open the iTunes setup file?and I cant use napster because Im not in US!!
Regards RockyIV

Justin

Justin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
I thinnk it is winmx.com

You are getting the warning from windows. As long as you are downloading it from itunes.com it is safe to open.

Windows will give that warning with all .exe files that you download.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Oh ok thanks and it is www.winmx.com
Regards RockyIV

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
here is a list of cleaner alternatives to kazaa etc.

here

ukbiker

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Dear UK,
Are you sure this is ok, because the webpage tells me that Limewire is 100% Spyware-Free!
Regards RockyIV

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
The article ukbiker linked you to IS very up to date and a good resource. Read closely what it says about Limwire. The program itself does NOT come bundled with Spyware. HOWEVER, every single song you download you take a risk of having that file/song infected with something malicious.

Advertisements

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts

Dear UK,
Are you sure this is ok, because the webpage tells me that Limewire is 100% Spyware-Free!
Regards RockyIV

View Post

The NEWER versions of Limewire are supposely not bundeled ;)

:tazz:

Excal

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Can someone please tell me the newest Limewire Version?
Regards RockyIV

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
High, even itunes is not safe now it seems (link below), I have one machine with limeware and another with Ares (not both running at the same time) Now, would I be wrong in thinking that the downloading of songs and films from the net is likely to deminish but still remain not because of the writing on the wall(the recent american law that holds P2P firms responcible for the members downloading behavior, the growing risk of infection, the slowness and uncertainty of the download request per se, etc.,) but more simply because as more and more people own Mp3 players of umpteen gigers, pendrives, external harddrives and the like, they then become able to swap content directly with the person next to them.

Three things to note then:
1)p2ps will not go away
2)direct swapping is likely to increase
3)e-books are likely to the next problem.

Short of banning computers outright or running a very intrusive monitoring system towards the general public this type of sharing and stealing is likely to be unstoppable because it is stepping out of the virtual world into the real one.

http://www.theregist...ki_worm_itunes/

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Is there any program, that is specially designed for P2P or anythinf similar that will scan every song I downloadd?If so please tell me!
Regards RockyIV

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I know that etrust have a little thing that you righthand click the file and it offers a scan but one has to buy the program.

Those who have read my other posts in various threads will be fed up with my suggesting to leave the P2P on your oldest machine which remains connected to the Internet, while gaming, brousing and the like can be done on your better machine, and if you have a router/modem then better still. In fact, a good thing about old pentiums type machine is that they are quite silent. I also suggest using an external harddrive between machines as opposed to allowing direct sharing between machines. In not using the old machine for Internet most of the malware has no oppertunity to function, if however it does go down with some infection then the remidies offered here in the first case or reformat/reinstall in the worst case are solutions without great lost. Cost, well an external harddrive often comes into hand when the screen of someone's laptop goes which is the thing that seems to go on most machines in the end, the owner then goes for a new machine so just offer the idea of using it with a fixed screen which usually disheartens the owner enough for you second bid or direct request, anyway open it up and extract the harddrive which will probably be only 6gb, or with luck 20gb (though I got one with 30gb) then one simply buys a external hardddrive box which although not free isn't too expensive and is getting cheaper, - ah but the modem/router does cost a lot but since it works like a firewall cutting out a lot of malware, I suggest you save up for it as then you won't really need an antivirus for the P2P machine.

Anyway, good luck and if anyone has a better idea or system please post then.

Edited by fleamailman, 08 August 2005 - 01:49 AM.