Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 Pro issues

• Please log in to reply

zachs

zachs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been working on a machine for several days now. It is running windows 2000 professional with service pack 4 and all current windows updates. I have ran Adware SE, HiJack This, CW Shredder, and McAfee and Norton Antivirus (at seperate installed times). Since I replaced McAfee with norton and got an updated dat file, it found and removed an abundance of viruses. None of the files that were removed were system files. However, since it scanned and removed all these viruses I have been getting virtual memory errors. The system has 256mb ram and I have the virtual memory set to a min of 404 and a max of 786. From reading some other posts, it was suggested to have a total of physical and virtual of 2gb. I have ran the 2000 install disk in repair mode also. Nothing seems to help. If I boot into safe mode it will run stable. That is where I was able to complete a defragment. The computer was originally severly infected with adware, spyware and the likes. I am looking for any help that people can provide. I have been fighting this thing for several days. I can run any scan you may want and provide reports also. Just let me know. If anyone wants to help me via Instant messanger or anything like that just let me know.

System configuration:
PIII- 1.0ghz
256mb ram
20gb hard drive
CD-R/W
DVD-Rom
Onboard video, and sound

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

If you suspect malware, please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread

Murray