Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CSS troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply

dasickis

dasickis

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hey this is my first time trying to make a CSS/XHTML website, the site seems to be working well in Firefox but it messes up in IE and for some reason the layout does not appear to change when the resolution or window is resized like what I mean is that the buttons don't move to fit the window like these sites: http://www.cssbeauty.com/
if you resize your window or change your resolution the site reconfigures to keep the same look but my site just stays static

edit: if you are on IE the images look messed up because of the PNG alpha transparency settings i'll get that taken care of from this tutorial: http://www.alistapar...les/pngopacity/

edit:sorry my site is: www.sbhssports.com/newkaya/

Edited by dasickis, 06 August 2005 - 08:54 PM.

Advertisements

Ibatex

Ibatex

• Pip
  • 8 posts
First off, I have to say it looks very nice (viewing in Firefox). Second, I looked at your css. Looks like the reason it's staying static between resolutions is because you're using all absolute dimensions. Meaning, things like height and width are all set with pixels and not percentages.

What you'll probably need to do is set somethings absolute (with pixels) and some things relative (using percents). That way you can allow certain elements to stretch and flow, and the more 'space critical' elements to stay the same size. It's not easy though, it will probably take an amount of experimentation to get it to flow just right and making sure it can handle cross-browsers acceptably.

dasickis

dasickis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Well I updated it (on IE run the ActiveX component it's the only way to get transparency to work)

I do have one problem the line under the links is longer in Firefox than it should be why is this?

I was just wondering how can I better the site? CSS wise what should I do differently or add or delete?

http://sbhssports.com/newkaya

dasickis

dasickis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I redid the site but I used underscores for different formatting for IE I know this is bad practice so how do I fix this so I don't have to keep doing this for all the sites I make? how does everyone else deal with IE?

If you look at my CSS you will see my quick and dirty method.

dasickis

dasickis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Also I was wondering how is it possible to style a button while visiting a page and not have that show when you're not on the page.

For example, if I was on the home page I would like the Home page to change color but when I am on the Services page I would like the Services button to change color and the Home button to go back to its original color

sprout

sprout

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Are you hand coding all of this or are you using an editor (ie Dreamweaver or Frontpage)?

dasickis

dasickis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
i am using dreamweaver but I just started so i am basically hardcoding it if there are some dreamwever functions i can take advantage of...please let me know

Edited by dasickis, 15 August 2005 - 12:01 AM.

dasickis

dasickis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hey is it just me or do the images load up slowly on IE?