Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Plz help...b4 hubby kills me ;) internet broke

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
:tazz: My hubby is ready to shoot me. Second time fixing my daughters pc in the past month. First time she did it by doing something to her drivers. Now, I messed it up. oops!

Her pc was full of adware and who knows what else. She is running on win98 with a cable connection. I was using the page listed here to begin if you suspect malware. Her internet connection was working fine prior to this.

My steps were:
1. Preparation
If your having trouble connecting to the Internet try running the WinSockFix utility to repair your connection:
Winsock2Fix for Windows 98/98SE*admin (I think that was my mistake) I have never used that before and not thinking, I did this time although she did not have any connection problems. It said in the black box it was deleting her dial up network connections. I figured this was ok. We use a cable modem. It did its thing, then after that windows popped up saying to install win98 CD. I kept hitting cancel b/c I didnt have it at the house and figured it was a mistake. I didnt reboot yet.

2. I did the clean up thing and it kindof froze up in the middle of it all. It was up to 31,000 files cleaned and started deleting items in the Recycle bin.

I then had to reboot since it froze up. Ever since then, her internet connection is lost. I checked the modem and all her connections. All that is fine.

I am at a loss here since I dont really know what caused the problem, I dont know which post to read to fix it. If it is easiest for me just to reinstall the 98 CD, I can do that.

thanks for any help

Edited by Mich73, 06 August 2005 - 09:01 PM.

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Boot your computer to dos.

At the C: prompt... type scanreg /restore Note the space between scanreg and the forward slash.

Restore to a date prior to when you started making changes. Hopefully, the restore cab is not damaged and you will be able to get your connection back.

Note that when you restore, you will probably restore some spyware registry entries also, so you will have to clean them out again.