Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newbie! Computer wont detect new devices!

• Please log in to reply

Clyde099

Clyde099

• Pip
  • 2 posts
New to the forums (Hello), desperately seeking help! ;)

I bought a Sony DVD Burner (DRU-800A) today that replaced a non-working cd burner. I managed to correctly install it but when I turn my computer on the computer does not detect the dvd burner or the cd-rom/dvd player. I've tried to move the cables/devices around to see if either device would be detected.

At one point the computer DID recognize both devices and said that in order for the Sony Burner to completely install it had to restart the computer...so it did, and when the computer came back up no devices were detected.

My computer fits the qualifications for the DVD Burner so I don't know really what's wrong.

During my trials, the DVD Burner would open and close as Windows XP Pro was starting...but when it got to the welcome screen it stopped opening/closing. At the moment, the DVD Burner is opening and closing (and I've tried inserting a cd) but that's it, nothing else happens.

Anyone have some advice? Any help would be appreciated, thanks! :tazz:

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Are both devices connected to the same IDE cable? If so, did you set the jumpers on each device correctly?

If both are on the same IDE cable, then one must be jumpered as Master, and the other as Slave. It doesn't matter which is set to Master or Slave... just that they cannot be set the same.

Pull the drives out and look in the area of the power connector. Also look for possibly a diagram or markings on the case indicating Master,Slave,Cable Select. You may also see a little jumper which is set to one of these postitions.

Move the jumpers so one drive is set to Master, and the other to Slave, then reinstall the drives into the machine.

Restart the computer and see if that works.

makai

Clyde099

Clyde099

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Problem partially solved. I installed Windows SP2 and then made the DVD Burner "Master." That seems to work, haven't tried burning yet but I tried playing a cd and a dvd and they both play. I can't get the other drive to work as "slave" though, I don't need it anymore anyways so that's the least of my worries right now. Thanks a lot for your help guys!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I can't get the other drive to work as "slave" though, I don't need it anymore anyways so that's the least of my worries right now.

Well, you did originally state the drive wasn't working. Directing you to set the jumpers was only to configure your computer so it would boot correctly.

Glad you got things going. :tazz:

makai