Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD- CD - COMBO Drive

• Please log in to reply

NEWMAN

NEWMAN

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Could someone please help? I have a SONY DRU-710A DVD Drive and it refuses to play DVD movies with the bundled software (Nero Showtime) and also Power DVD but I am able to play DVD movies in Windows Media Player, every time I try it just hangs. I can run and open DVD data discs and CD data discs, I have uninstalled all programs and even drives with re-booting in between but DVD movies in Nero and Power DVD still hang and won't play. Strange that I can play DVD movies in Windows Media Player and not these, could someone PLEASE offer some insight. It worked fine before I installed SATA Drive?????? :tazz: ;) :)

System:AMD 64 3200,Seagate 80GB IDE,Seagate 80GB SATA,2GB Kingmax DDR RAM,RADEON 9550,Sony DVD Drive,LG CD-Drive,Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 Mobo,

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Have you tried removing one of the programs (like Powere DVD) then trying Nero? Or vice-versa? I know that Nero will not work properly if you happen to have Roxio installed. I tried Nero once, didn't like it. I did a long battle with their tech support and ended up getting a RMA and returned it. I use Power DVD and Roxio!

NEWMAN

NEWMAN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your reply Austin and sorry for not getting back to the forum sooner but i have been crook m8. Yeah i tried uninstalling nero and it still didn't fix the problem, i ended up ringing sony and told them the problem i was having and the woman there said it sounds like windows media player has taken over exclusive control of all dvd movies. She asked me if i had recently upgraded my WMP and i had, as i upgraded from 9 to 10 and she seems to think that when i did, windows media player 10 has told my system that all dvd movies will only be played on WMP10. I'm having trouble swollowing this and seem to think its still a software conflict of sorts.So for the time i just watch dvd's using WMP but I'm still trying to think of a way out to be able to play dvd's on all of my dvd playing software like i use to. So thanks for your help m8 and if I'm able to figure it out I'll report back to the forum.

NEWMAN :tazz:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hey, the gal at Sony may be right. You can change WMP settings. I use WMP9 (I rolled back some time ago because I didn't like WMP10). In WMP9 this is done from the tools menu, options, then file file types. Just remove the check mark next to dvd. You can also go to windows explorer, tools, folder options, file types, and set the default program for your dvds there. The latter will surely get you what you want.

NEWMAN

NEWMAN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey austin_o,
Thanks for the reply m8, i tried your suggestion and every time i try and use nero or power dvd my VGA crashes and my VPU i think, goes into recover mode. My rig is fine after that but you think i can play dvd's in anything but WMP? No way man! Very strange that my VGA doesn't crash while I'm using WMP though, may'be it's time to get a new VGA card but very frustrated as it works perfectly with doing everything else on my comp. Oh well i was looking for an excuse to by a new VGA card anyway, thanks m8 for your input.

NEWMAN :tazz: