Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UNBUNTU GUI desktop alternatives?

• Please log in to reply

sorry_name_taken_already

sorry_name_taken_already

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have installed or using x-server-xorg from the boot cd
apt -get install xserver-xorg

and successfully got a configuration screen
Posted Image

root@unbuntu:~#startx
It failed to load up gnome or icewm. Debian/Unbuntu uses its own script gdm.
That gave me an idea.

apt -get install gdm
It worked! It installed gnome. Im guessing gdm means Gnome Desktop Manager?

I was hoping to install ICEWM instead. It is less mem/cpu hungry than gnome because I have an older laptop /w Trident 9525 2mb video :tazz:

Please note I am a newbie, googling and reading from forums. I am not versed with linux/debian commands. I am merely replicating commands that I read up in forums.

Edited by sorry_name_taken_already, 07 August 2005 - 06:26 AM.

Advertisements

sorry_name_taken_already

sorry_name_taken_already

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
xorg and gdm installed.
I get a screen message

I cannot start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it it no set up properly *duh* Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?
<yes> <no>

Freezing the laptop as a result.

I rebooted in recovery mode and back in prompt.

Do you know where I can get hold of the Trident Cyber 9525 i386 debian driver?

Xorg doesnt support trident drivers. Thanks Debian good move!Unfortunately, I have a Trident Cyber 9525. I hope trident is working with xorg to release drivers. Can anyone tell me how to install vesa drivers to load gnome or with an appropriate driver.

Edited by sorry_name_taken_already, 07 August 2005 - 06:18 AM.

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Trying starting X not as root user. It is highly recommended not to run X windows as root, nor login to a window manager as root.

ttysoon, SD

sorry_name_taken_already

sorry_name_taken_already

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I NEED HELP with setting up xorg.conf!
and a six pack!

I think something is wrong with my xorg.conf file. I tried editing it because i found on google that the horizontal and Vertical refresh rates did not match the manufacturer's monitor spec and default colour depth was set at 24. The values were too high and the laptop froze trying to load gdm as a result. My toshiba 4080XCDT uses the, Trident Microsystem Cyber9525 video. Luckily, xorg supports it!

http://www.xfree.org.../trident.4.html
Supported Hardware
The trident driver supports PCI, AGP and ISA video cards based on the following Trident chips:
Blade
Blade3D, CyberBlade series i1, i7 (DSTN), i1, i1 (DSTN), Ai1, Ai1 (DSTN), CyberBlade/e4, CyberBladeXP, CyberBladeAi1/XP, BladeXP
3DImage975, 3DImage985, Cyber9520, Cyber9525, Cyber9397, Cyber9397DVD
ProVidia
9682, 9685, Cyber9382, Cyber9385, Cyber9388
TGUI
9440AGi, 9660, 9680
ISA/VLBus
8900C, 8900D, 9000, 9200CXr, Cyber9320, 9400CXi, 9440AGi These cards have been ported but need further testing and may not work.

Great, but greek to me, mate! Howto configure xorg.conf to recognise the onboard video Cyber9525 . I am used to windows where I point to a .inf or install from .exe file and then go to display properties!

I hope someone can teach me how to configure xorg to run my X win session or at least a windows manager login screen.

My previous topic was received with mixed answers even though i specifically asked help in setting up xorg and ICEWN.
http://www.geekstogo...org-t51526.html

YES! OH, YES!!

xserver-xorg is installed with the "newest version".

I am thinking of installing icewm or xpde GUI desktop instead of gnome because i have a slow PII 366 porcessor.

Do you know where I can get hold of the Trident Cyber 9525 i386 debian driver?

Xorg SUPPORTS trident drivers? YEAH?
I have a Trident Cyber 9525 or tell me how to install vesa drivers to load gnome/icewm.
I need to set up xorg.conf?

Much appreciated!

Andy
PS has anyone got any luck in setting xpde (X display XP clone). It looks pretty cool but there is no documentation for its latest BETA version. Have a look on their website www.sxde.com. Any comments?

Edited by sorry_name_taken_already, 07 August 2005 - 07:55 PM.