Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desperate HouseGeek!

• Please log in to reply

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Ok Guys,
Recently my dad formatted his laptop! and ever since when you open any window and scroll down! it get all wavy and stuff, itz much slower and you can see a line going up and down!You know itz like a wave in motion!
This applies to all windows ie: IE, My Documents, Explorer, any application!
Checked for malware couldn't find anything! I suspect a setting that has been changed!!
Any help would be appreciated!
Regards RockyIV

Advertisements

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Do you get a specific error at any stage?

Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Sounds like the video display controller may be headin' out to sea... try lowering the resolution a notch. Less stress, diff freq.

You may also be looking at RF interference in the video section (e.g., missing shield or ground).

Also, could someone have loaded a "joke" application onto the system (check taskmanager or msconfig)?

Note: This is strange because laptop LCDs dont use a "raster" scan technology like older CRT (& TV) monitors. On CRTs, lines @ waves traveling up & down is not uncommon fail mode. However, this does NOT apply to LCDs. :tazz:

P2E

Ok Guys,
Recently my dad formatted his laptop! and ever since when you open any window and scroll down! it get all wavy and stuff, itz much slower and you can see a line going up and down!You know itz like a wave in motion!
This applies to all windows ie: IE, My Documents, Explorer, any application!
Checked for malware couldn't find anything! I suspect a setting that has been changed!!
Any help would be appreciated!
Regards RockyIV

View Post

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
No, I dont get an error at any stage! And look in your Task Manager!what should I be looking for?
Regards RockyIV

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Hey I lowered the resoultion didn't work? And what should I be looking for the the Task Manager?Desperate Help Needed!
Regards RockyIV

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Please Guys!I need Desperate Help!
Regards RockyIV

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Try formating it again but make sure you have all the drivers you need. Look in device manager before you do and see if there is any yellow marks next to the graphics hardware.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did he re-install all the other software drivers from their CD's, particularly the video adapter

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
No he hasn't Keith. thanks and also see into Warrior's idea too! Thanks Guys! I go to go to sleep so I will have an answer tomorrow!
Regards RockyIV

Edited by RockyIV, 15 August 2005 - 11:53 PM.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

yellow marks next to the graphics hardware.

View Post

From control panel right?? And about the joke in Task Manager! What should I be looking for?

Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Sorry, busy putting out other fires...

As I mentioned earlier - your problem appears to be classic RFI (radio freq interference) or EMI (electromech) related. Do you have any RF devices nearby your monitor (or the monitor's A/C power cord), such as a PC speakers, cellphone, cordless phone, florescent light, microwave, wifi, cordless mouse/keyboard, etc??? While viewing the problem, pich up move your monitor 1+ feet around in several directions and note ANY changes in the wavy gravy... Grab a small metal cookie sheet and move the pan round the ENTIRE monitor area - again note ANY change in your monitor wavy pic... If no change, get an long extension cord and (temp) plug in your monitor A/C power cord into a completely diff location (room).

Per my comment about "joke" app running, it is a long shot - but certain unknown or rogue programs can be running on the system w/o your direct knowledge or consent causing this problem. Run your Task Manager & sort your running program list (click Image Name) & view/compare the running processes... The processes can be compared against several references, among the more better known urls are..

- http://www.answersth...es/tasklist.htm
- http://www.tasklist.org/

Good Luck,

P2E

From control panel right?? And about the joke in Task Manager! What should I be looking for?

View Post

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Thanks for the information! I will try your first idea and if no luck I will have to start comparing!! I get an answer in maybe tonight!!
Regards RockyIV