Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Zazzer, Effective i-Inc, Esonmniture [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

melonworm

melonworm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
HKey-Local_Machine>Software>Classes>Interface B1E68D42-02C4-465B-8368-5ED9B732E22d

I have the registry locations of the Zazzer too if you need them.

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
that would be great, i

Actually if you could export those keys then send them to me that would be even better. you can send to efwis at netins dot net

Edited by Efwis, 20 August 2005 - 01:06 PM.

melonworm

melonworm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Um, I need a "head bashing into a brick wall" smiley. * I think* that Zazzer is the Osborn Pop Up blocker in my Defender Pro A/S. Unless something pesky has infiltrated that program. I will still export those entries and email them to you. The email will be from "melonworm" so you will know it is me.

Still working on exporting the registry entries. I tend to have a strict "look but dont touch" philosophy about the registry so I am a bit unsure about it. It seems I have to export each entry individually, right?

Edited by melonworm, 20 August 2005 - 01:46 PM.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
correct, find the entry than clikc on file and hit export, before you can send them you will have to zip them up. just right click on them and choose send to compressed file

melonworm

melonworm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
OK, you should have mail.

Edited by melonworm, 20 August 2005 - 03:29 PM.

melonworm

melonworm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Something else, in going thru my notes, they Reg entry listed above is also one listed in my McAfee scan as SbSoft.dr (along with another entry) and that exact same Reg entry is also listed in a Spybot search as CoolWWWsearch.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
ok, I go them, i will write something up and hopefully have an answer for you soon.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
I reviewed the registry entries you sent to me, after reviewing them I have come to the conclusion that you should be able to delete those keys. since you have them exported already, you can skip that part of the process. if you deleted them, then export them again and save them on your desktop. This way if your system "malfunctions" you can always restore them and we will see what we can do from there.

after making sure you have them safely exported, delete the same keys in the registry, reboot your system.

If you boot normally, run your scans and let me know what happens.

If it doesn't boot normally doubleclick on each of the registry entries that you exported, rebooting after each one until you have acheived normal bootup, click yes on both confirmation requests you receive for each one.

let me know what happens and we will go from there.

melonworm

melonworm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Sorry to be a PITA, but do I delete the entry in the left pane or the right pane?

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
you delete the entry in left pane

Advertisements

melonworm

melonworm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Deleted them all and they all came right back after reboot. The Zazzer are tied into the pop up blocker bundled into the new Defender Pro A/S. I can email you the link to d/l the program and you could explore it that way.

The other one seems to be something bad but that is my completely undeucated opinion.

Edited by melonworm, 21 August 2005 - 05:11 PM.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
I' ve a feeling they are both tied into defender pro. but have no idea why. Based on that thought, would you be willing to uninstall defender pro. there are other Antispyware tools out there that work just as well, and we recommend them everyday.

then run your scans to find out if both are gone, make sure to delete those registry entries and reboot prior to scanning. If they both go away then I would recommend leaving defender pro off your system. You have plenty of A/S tools on your system already with webroot and spybot.

melonworm

melonworm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I went to add/remove programs and *thought* I uninstalled the programs, both of the Defender Pro AntiSpyware versions. They are no longer in the add remove programs section. I deleted the registry keys, rebooted and both programs are still sitting on my desktop, fully functional.

I tried to uninstall by going to the program itself and using the uninstall option and it cannot find the shortcut. I am at a loss as what to do now. :tazz:

Defender Pro is "powered by Kapersky" so you would think it is legitimate but it is acting spooky. I have put in an email to Defender Pro but I am not sure if they will respond.

Edited by melonworm, 22 August 2005 - 09:51 AM.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
kaspersky will respond, they have a great reputation to uphold on this issue. I would patiently suggest waiting until they have responded before moving on. In light of the circumstances, if you can't or don't want to wait the only option would be full reinstall of Windows.

melonworm

melonworm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
They did reply but didn't really help. I screwed up by not stopping the As before trying to remove it. I am going to try re-installing them both, stopping them and uninstalling. If that doesn't work, I will reinstall Windows. I thank you kindly for all your patience and help. :) Stick me with a fork, I am done. :tazz: