Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card problem

• Please log in to reply

johanfrc

johanfrc

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi!

A few months ago I had a virus-attack. It was stopped quickly. But after that I have experienced some problems with my graphic.

Most of my 3D games had "cutted" or "broken" lines. (se the attachment) Then I decided to format my HD and reinstall everything. I did that. But the problem was still there. At this time I had a ATI 9600XT with 256 mb ram.

Then in June, I brought a new video card (N6600GT). And that helped a little bit. But today everything was as bad as before the new video card.

I have a P4 2,8 Ghz. 1024 DDR-ram and the N6600GT with 128mb ram.

I have anti-alising on (the highest setting) and everyting is as high as it can be. The Vertical sync is OFF. I'm running 1024x768 on a 4 year old 17" CRT-monitor

What do you think it can be?

Maybe it's something in the hardware or maybe it's in the software.

EDIT: I'm not using the lastest Nvidia drivers. If I do, I'll get a black screen in some of my games. I'm using the lastest driver from the Video card manufacturer.

Attached Thumbnails

• fsscr081.JPG

Edited by johanfrc, 07 August 2005 - 08:22 AM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Just by chance have you tried a different monitor?

johanfrc

johanfrc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes. The whole screen was getting blured when I chance. So I wnet back til the original.

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
do you experience the same visual diffeciencis during normal window use?

if not then it's your video card settings? turn the aa to none and see if there is any improvements or turn them down to low and check for diffeciencies if none set a setting to a higher lvl and check again.

use up to date video drivers, use up to date directx drivers, use up to date sound drivers, use up to date bios drivers

johanfrc

johanfrc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
nothing helped. :tazz:

I think I have tried everything I can remember if there are some problems with your VC. and also alot of advises from one of my friends who are quite good at hardware. But nothing has solved the problem.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
What psu do you have maybe its under powerd and the video card ain't getting enough power.

johanfrc

johanfrc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
a 400w NorthQ

It worked well when I had my ATI9600XT. But then I got the virus and after that (still with the 9600XT) it was bad.

Edited by johanfrc, 09 August 2005 - 04:27 AM.