Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where does my cpu rank?

• Please log in to reply

wace9178

wace9178

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Can anyone tell me how to find the full specificatiions of my Dell Dimension XPS t-500 cpu. Ive been doing a lot of reading since i joined geekstogo, i won't pretend to understand all of it but i do know that there have been major advances since i purchased my cpu 4 yrs ago. ive read about new developments with processors, video cards, 3d graphics etc. how do i compare processors like AMD, Duron, Pentium 4(mine is a 3) and Celeron. What is 1ghz and where does my cpu rank?

Should i look into a new one? i use my cpu mostly for listening and copying music, cataloging my comic books( about 15000 all with photos) and surfing the net. I would like to start copying dvds as well.

do i need more cpu power?

By the way thanks to you guys i now enjoy uisng my cpu again, i havent gotten all of the bugs out yet(were still working on it) but im about 95% there.
and all it cost me was some time.

thanks a million.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You're welcome! Thanks for the kind words.

This link might give you an idea how your system compares to today's.
http://www.tomshardw..._charts-27.html

For the applications you describe, I really see no need to upgrade. Gaming, video encoding, gaming, MP3 ripping, gaming <_< are usually highly CPU dependant. If you were to purchase a new system, you would experience a noticble increase in performance, but unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, I really don't think it's a required upgrade.