Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overheating...Why?

• Please log in to reply

Twiztnin223

Twiztnin223

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hello:) I have 4 fans in my computer (display card, on processor and two case fans (one going in and the other going out). I have discovered while playing FFXI (final fantasy XI (11)) that my computer seems to over heat and restart itself. It is running about 115-120 F. The reason why I know it's over heating is because if I open the side of my comp and put my stand up fan (one of them ocillating ones) facing the computer, it runs around 95-97 F and doesn't restart on me. Is there a way I can fix this without having to use my stand up fan on it? Possibly changing some settings or adding a new fan (i don't know where it would fit). Please let me know:)

I have turned of the system reboot feature in Control Panel, but am worried my computer might fry up if I don't do something else.

:tazz: Thanks for the help.

Edited by Twiztnin223, 07 August 2005 - 08:25 AM.

Advertisements

phua zheng hao

phua zheng hao

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
what power supply are u using? when power not enough computer tends to restart on their own. try unplug ur DVD rom ,burner or some other external device and try it out. if the computer doesnt restart anymore then it might be ur power supply contribute not enough power.

Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Not my area of expertise, but your comp temp sounds high to me... if this is case (ambient) temp, your component temp is likely smokin'. Hopefully, your system temp a/o fan sensors are alerting your system to (hopefully) shutdown.. this is likely NOT a false warning/error - replace the failing fan and get your temp down!

Also, check the direction of the fan(s) and verifiy they are blowing heat OUT of the case. :tazz:

Good Luck

P2E

Twiztnin223

Twiztnin223

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
one is blowing in while the another is blowing out. that's how the case was set up when i bought it. should i change it?

Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
again, no expert. logic permitting, fans at top of case (heat rises) must blow out.... bottom (cool) case fan blows in.... if they are side by side fans (poor design?), I suspect they both are designed to blow out to remove heat - a killer for components.

P2E

Twiztnin223

Twiztnin223

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
One is in the middle of the side of the case (blowing in) and the other is in the back at the top (blowing out). What is the normal temperature of a PC supposed to be if anyone knows.

Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
below 120... your pushing it.

seriously, you need to increase your volume of air flow (bigger fan, higher rpm, addl fan, etc) or lower your heat (quit playing killer games like ffXI). If you ignore the symptons, your pc lifespan will be cut short..

P2E

One is in the middle of the side of the case (blowing in) and the other is in the back at the top (blowing out). What is the normal temperature of a PC supposed to be if anyone knows.

View Post

Twiztnin223

Twiztnin223

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I upgraded this computer to play FFXI, I'm not gonna quit playing it. I'd rather just fix the problem...

I checked this website: http://www.g4tv.com/...se_Airflow.html

It says add a fan to the bottom to push more cool air in and bundle up your cords to get them out of the way of the air path. I'll give that a try and let u know what happens.

Edited by Twiztnin223, 07 August 2005 - 08:52 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Right ok, what are your temps in a real unit of measurement, ill take celsius or kelvin if you feel fancy but i cant remeber how to convert farenheit and i cant be bothered finding out.
A full list of specs will be needed and if you know the model of the case or could provide a quick pic showing all the fams that would be ok. Include in the specs the size and exact location of the fans.

Twiztnin223

Twiztnin223

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Ok it was running at 46 - 49 C now with the big fan on it it is running at 29-35 C

This is my case with specs: http://www.digilinkc...92020290c3fcb5f

Here is the fan setup: http://www.geocities.../fandisplay.JPG

Advertisements

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I have no evidence to back this up, but it seems like your case could support one extra fan going in. Take a look at the bottom right corner of your fandisplay.jpg. Are you sure you don't see any holes for an extra fan right there?

You could also try upgrading your heatsink fan on your CPU. I tried looking up one for you but couldn't find anything. You could look around here and see if something looks good.

Twiztnin223

Twiztnin223

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
there are some holes that I may be able to squeeze one in, but there is no open area in the front of my computer (the plastic piece on the outer casing). Do you think if i open the bay underneath my floppy and insert a fan below it it may help?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well CPU temp should be between 30 and 40 at idle, and 40 to 50 going no higher than 60 under load. Case temps should be within 10 degrees of room temperature. If the holes are there then you can alwasy drill holes in the fron of the case for the ventilation. Im talking about in front of your hard drives here. Also the psu fans can basically be discounted as they really serve to cool only the psu and its affects are negated by the psu heat output. So basiaclly you have two system fans which will be 80mm fans i think. One way of getting more air out the back is increasing the fan size. If there is physically enough room you can drill holes and mount a 120mm fan on there that will give a big improvement.

Twiztnin223

Twiztnin223

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Here's my plan. ;)

I'm going to see if I can buy two 120mm fans (if they can fit) and keep the 90mm (blowing in) side fan where it is. I'll replace the back fan (blowing out) and move both of my hard drives up to reduce clutter of wires and for room to put another 120mm fan right below them (blowing in). For more airflow, I plan on leaving the lower floppy bay open (plastic bay cover pulled off for open space) for more air to come in (unless its a bad idea?) With that in mind, do you think I should still drill holes in the plastic casing? :tazz:

If 120 mm can't fit and I resort to 90mm, should I be looking for a specific CFM? Higher is better right?

Edited by Twiztnin223, 08 August 2005 - 08:39 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Unless you stick a fan in the bay then leave it shut as it will muck up your pressure and airflow you want it going in with a fan and being pulled out by a fan, idealy you want a slight overpressure to keep out dust if you can. Remember you HDDs need a bit of cooling as well so stick them so there is one open drive bay between them and hide away all the excess cables you can i tuck them into the free 5.25 drive bays. Use cable ties to take care of the rest of the wires keep them together and flat to bottom or sides of case if you cant get then in the 5.25 or that will cause then to stretch acroos the flow of air. You might not be able to get a 120mm in the back some cases just dont have the space available they have to wider in order for the 120mm to sit next to the mobo I/O panel. The front you should be able to get one in if there isnt holes you can make them with a drill and then cut the ventilation holes in. Plastic is pretty easy to drill but you have to do it at a low speed a hgih speed will crack it and be patient its not fast work and you rush it you will crack it. Also if you have a spare pci slot akasa make an exhaust blower that is sold for like 3 quid here so you could order one of thoses as well while you are at it. Higher cfm is better.

But those temps you gave with "the big fan on" were ok temps mines is running hotter than that at the mo( its a bloody boiling day) 27 degrees in my room ridiculously hot.