Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton 2005 again

• Please log in to reply

Psycrow

Psycrow

• Pip
  • 8 posts
[bleep] !

I just reinstallet norton AV 2005 again after some minor errors..the Program works fine now but it takes ages to start up my comp...when i enter the desktop then i can only wait until norton is finish startingup.

It never did so before...what is wrong now ?

I did remove all norton and reinstallet again...and that did not help.

Advertisements

Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
chech your system resources via taskmanager. also id the hog using up your resources.

whats your OS & net connection do you have (e.g, dial, dsl ,cable, satellite, etc)?

if you temporaily remove ALL startup files (msconfig), does boot up immediately?

P2E

[bleep] !

I just reinstallet norton AV 2005 again after some minor errors..the Program works fine now but it takes ages to start up my comp...when i enter the desktop then i can only wait until norton is finish startingup.

It never did so before...what is wrong now ?

I did remove all norton and reinstallet again...and that did not help.

View Post

Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
important. also, if applicable - check your install log for the error details you had while loading van a/v... if you dont understand the errors - call norton/symantec or whoever they are this year, for clarification. :tazz:

P2E

Psycrow

Psycrow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have windowx xp and no errors..just reinstallet win xp for 20 days ago

When i remove norton then my comp startup fine and fast..but when i install norton then it realy slows my startup from when i enter windows and until i can use it...

It is not the reboot that takes long time...just from when i enter windows..And i know it is norton to blame...just not were or how or why

My net is 2 mbit/2mbit

Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Admittedly, I am not a Norton fan... Check your norton settings and make sure you are NOT check drives on bootup. Some a/v pgms, take a long time after thier initial install because to establish a baseline (clean) system, they run a thorough scan of all your drives... the bigger the drive, the bigger the time... this should only happen after the INITIAL install...

Load/start Task Manager and under the processes tab, ID the bugger using up your resources.

A/v pgms should run as a normal background task, but I have seen several - including Norton, Computer Associates, & McAfee use 100% of the processor... working overtime or application problem/bug, i dunno...

P2E

I have windowx xp and no errors..just reinstallet win xp for 20 days ago

When i remove norton then my comp startup fine and fast..but when i install norton then it realy slows my startup from when i enter windows and until i can use it...

It is not the reboot that takes long time...just from when i enter windows..And i know it is norton to blame...just not were or how or why

My net is 2 mbit/2mbit

View Post

Psycrow

Psycrow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Will try to disable some feat in norton to see what takes to damm long time

Be right back if things screw up :tazz:

Psycrow

Psycrow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I looked in the logfile under adminfeat in controle panel

and it says some error about an source userenv
Something that it wont connnect to WMI
No clue what that is

Psycrow

Psycrow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Another things is when i disable the internet then it takes 10 sec from windows upstart to i can use the comp but when i activate the internet then it takes 45 sec from windows upstart to i can use the comp both with norton installet..i gues this has something to do with norton connecting to my router or something with firewall set up.

Not that i use any firewall beisde that one in the router if there is one

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok have you run liveupdate... it takes several times before you get all the updates installed.

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Use the live update to update your norton, then unclick the liveupdate so it will only run when you run it, disable live update, When you 1st start your comp up, Norton will automatically look for updates, and this I would think is what is giving you the long start up. Just make sure to fully update your Norton, and then run update about once a week or so.

cheers woody