Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Clean Install (Can't access my documents)

• Please log in to reply

vtrob77

vtrob77

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So I woke yesterday morning to a bluescreen - when I tried to restart it game the the error regarding corrupt or missing "windows\system32\config\system". I used Microsoft KB and followed the instructions backing up and then replacing the files with the ones from windows\repair folder. That worked except when I restarted the computer hung on "windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys" each time. I decided to do a clean install - so here's what I did:

1 - Bought a new hard drive
2 - took the old hard drive out and put it in 3.5 external drive (there appears to be data on the hard drive)
3 - reinstalled windows and my various programs
4 - I tried to open my Docements and Setting user folder - but I didn't have permission
5 - I tried to take ownership of the folder but didn't have permission. Then I also got a write delayed effect error.

Is there any other way to get the documents and settings data from a hard drive with a previous installation of windows. (I believe I made the documents private)...

Thanks!

Advertisements

Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I beleive you should be able to access the files with administrator rights.. either include your as an administrator or login as admininstrator....

P2E

vtrob77

vtrob77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So ever have those moments when you have spent exhaustive hours trying to get everything and can't think of another thing to do - so you decide to post and see what knowledge the world has to offer you... Only to realize after you make the post that

for the take ownership function to work you need to have the drive connected to the IDE (or SCSI or SATA) ports... not the usb Or at least its working for me now!

vtrob77

vtrob77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks P2E - It ends up that something screwy with the USB connection - when I connected the drive to the IDE cable it worked fine! Thanks!

Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
ah, details, details. so many parts & pieces & so little time... glad to see you are running!!

Dont you just hate it when, you cant see the forest and you get wacked by a falling tree? :tazz:

P2E

So ever have those moments when you have spent exhaustive hours trying to get everything and can't think of another thing to do - so you decide to post and see what knowledge the world has to offer you...  Only to realize after you make the post that

for the take ownership function to work you need to have the drive connected to the IDE (or SCSI or SATA) ports... not the usb  Or at least its working for me now!

View Post