Eliminating True Vector Service
Posted 07 August 2005 - 09:10 AM
Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:25 PM
In the System configuration utility window, select the Startup tab and look for an entry vsmon.exe... uncheck it, click ok, restart your computer.
Once restarted, search your computer for vsmon.exe and delete it. Also search for all folders belonging to Zonealarm and delete them too.
Edited by makai, 07 August 2005 - 02:25 PM.
Posted 07 August 2005 - 05:17 PM
c:\program files\zone alarm\
run regedit, go to hk_local_machine\software
look for zone alarm and delete it.
I have a lot of info and a removal tool at work. If I have time tomorrow I'll post the full instructions.
Posted 07 August 2005 - 06:51 PM
Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:37 AM
1. Open the /ZoneAlarm Pro program, go to Configure panel, and make sure the Load At Startup box is UNchecked.
2. Right-click on your taskbar, select Toolbars, and make sure that the ZoneAlarm Pro deskband is UNchecked as well (if it is checked, click on it to uncheck it).
If you cannot highlight the Desk Band by right-clicking on the toolbar, then highlighting Toolbars, try this: Click on the Configure button from the ZoneAlarm Pro panel, then look for the "Show Shell Toolbar" checkbox -- make sure that this box is UNchecked.
4. You should now have no ZoneAlarm Pro processes running on your system.
5. Now run Start, Programs, Zone Labs, Uninstall. Be sure to say YES to delete all files, and you MUST allow TrueVector service to shut down in order to remove files.
Back to Top
- Step 2 - Verify there are no ZoneAlarm Pro files on your system, empty your recycle bin, and reboot.
Verify there are no ZoneAlarm Pro files on your system, empty your recycle bin, and reboot
7. To make sure that you can see the ZA/ZAP system files, if they are still on your computer, click Start, Help, then type either "hidden files"or "show all files" - one of these should tell you how to make sure ALL files are visible (including Hidden; System; Protected; and Operating System files). Follow the instructions given. Be sure to change these settings back after you are done.
8. Click on Start, then Search or Find, and select Files. Make sure that the location box is set to search your local hard drive (usually C:) or All Local Drives.
Type the following exactly - including any spaces. Delete any folders found:
internet logs (NOTE: Your alerts log -- ZALogs.txt will be stored here. If for any reason you wish to save your alerts log, simply copy this file to another safe location on your hard drive)
Type the following exactly - delete any of the following files found in C:\Windows, C:\WINNT, or any subfolder below those, or in your \Temp folder:
Important note: If you currently have the Cisco VPN clientinstalled, and that version is 3.5 or above, do NOT manually remove the files vsdatant.sys, vsdata95.vxd, or vsdata.dll listed below! These have been integrated into the VPN client and should only be removed by running the Cisco VPN client uninstaller!
vsutil.dll (NOTE: Do not remove this file from any McAfee folders)
Type the following exactly - delete any files found in any folder with "Programs" in the pathname):
9. Make sure your Recycle Bin is empty (right-click and select Empty).
NOTE: If you received an error message upon deleting the files, or if the original programs remain in the Programs list, or if the problem persists after this, try removing the items mentioned above AFTER following the steps below:
a. Reboot your system into either Safe Mode or to a Command Prompt (by pressing either F8 at the beep when restarting, or holding the Control key during boot).
b. You should now be able to remove the files specified above.
Just as a note: zone alarm has to be completely shut down before you can remove the c:\windows\internt logs\ folder. you can either boot into safe mode for this, or delete the reg entry for zone alarm/zonelabs under hk_local_machine\software.
also vsdata and vsutil like to stay around in the c:\windows\system32 folder. If you follow the directions above they shouldn't cause any issues.
Keith, I have a powerpoint presentation and uninstall utility. Can't list them here, but I can send them to you if you want them. just pm me an email address.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users