Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Eliminating True Vector Service

• Please log in to reply

bobertfrat

bobertfrat

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello, I unistalled Zone Alarm Pro from my computer but true vector service, an internet monitoring service, is still there. I need to find a way to delete this program so I can reinstall Zone Alarm. I tried getting rid of the file, but is says its being used by another program and I tried to stop the service in the Administrative Services area, but it said access is denied. I will be gone in two days and I would like to resolve this problem so please respond ASAP on a possible way that I could get rid of this program. Thanks!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Go to Start/run... type in msconfig

In the System configuration utility window, select the Startup tab and look for an entry vsmon.exe... uncheck it, click ok, restart your computer.

Once restarted, search your computer for vsmon.exe and delete it. Also search for all folders belonging to Zonealarm and delete them too.

Reinstall ZA.

makai

Edited by makai, 07 August 2005 - 02:25 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, to add to the above:

delete:
c:\program files\zone alarm\
c:\windows\internet logs\

run regedit, go to hk_local_machine\software
look for zone alarm and delete it.

I have a lot of info and a removal tool at work. If I have time tomorrow I'll post the full instructions.

bobertfrat

bobertfrat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for your help everyone, but I've resolved the problem myself. I appreciate it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Useful to know how

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
- Step 1 - Shut down ZoneAlarm Pro, run the uninstaller, and reboot.
1. Open the /ZoneAlarm Pro program, go to Configure panel, and make sure the Load At Startup box is UNchecked.
2. Right-click on your taskbar, select Toolbars, and make sure that the ZoneAlarm Pro deskband is UNchecked as well (if it is checked, click on it to uncheck it).
If you cannot highlight the Desk Band by right-clicking on the toolbar, then highlighting Toolbars, try this: Click on the Configure button from the ZoneAlarm Pro panel, then look for the "Show Shell Toolbar" checkbox -- make sure that this box is UNchecked.
3. REBOOT.
4. You should now have no ZoneAlarm Pro processes running on your system.
5. Now run Start, Programs, Zone Labs, Uninstall. Be sure to say YES to delete all files, and you MUST allow TrueVector service to shut down in order to remove files.
6. REBOOT.

- Step 2 - Verify there are no ZoneAlarm Pro files on your system, empty your recycle bin, and reboot.
Verify there are no ZoneAlarm Pro files on your system, empty your recycle bin, and reboot
7. To make sure that you can see the ZA/ZAP system files, if they are still on your computer, click Start, Help, then type either "hidden files"or "show all files" - one of these should tell you how to make sure ALL files are visible (including Hidden; System; Protected; and Operating System files). Follow the instructions given. Be sure to change these settings back after you are done.
8. Click on Start, then Search or Find, and select Files. Make sure that the location box is set to search your local hard drive (usually C:) or All Local Drives.
Type the following exactly - including any spaces. Delete any folders found:
• zonelabs
• zone labs
• internet logs (NOTE: Your alerts log -- ZALogs.txt will be stored here. If for any reason you wish to save your alerts log, simply copy this file to another safe location on your hard drive)
Type the following exactly - delete any of the following files found in C:\Windows, C:\WINNT, or any subfolder below those, or in your \Temp folder:
Important note: If you currently have the Cisco VPN clientinstalled, and that version is 3.5 or above, do NOT manually remove the files vsdatant.sys, vsdata95.vxd, or vsdata.dll listed below! These have been integrated into the VPN client and should only be removed by running the Cisco VPN client uninstaller!
• vsconfig.xml
• vsdata.dll
• vsdata95.vxd
• vsdatant.vxd
• vsmonapi.dll
• vsnetutils.dll
• vspubapi.dll
• vsutil.dll (NOTE: Do not remove this file from any McAfee folders)
• zllictbl.dat
• zlparser.dll
Type the following exactly - delete any files found in any folder with "Programs" in the pathname):
• zapro
• zonealarm pro
9. Make sure your Recycle Bin is empty (right-click and select Empty).
10. REBOOT
NOTE: If you received an error message upon deleting the files, or if the original programs remain in the Programs list, or if the problem persists after this, try removing the items mentioned above AFTER following the steps below:
a. Reboot your system into either Safe Mode or to a Command Prompt (by pressing either F8 at the beep when restarting, or holding the Control key during boot).
b. You should now be able to remove the files specified above.

Just as a note: zone alarm has to be completely shut down before you can remove the c:\windows\internt logs\ folder. you can either boot into safe mode for this, or delete the reg entry for zone alarm/zonelabs under hk_local_machine\software.

also vsdata and vsutil like to stay around in the c:\windows\system32 folder. If you follow the directions above they shouldn't cause any issues.

Keith, I have a powerpoint presentation and uninstall utility. Can't list them here, but I can send them to you if you want them. just pm me an email address.

thanks,
Starjax