Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinFixer, seeve, aurora, Acooma, Pacman

• Please log in to reply

AeroGold1

AeroGold1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi bricat,

I ran CCleaner and defraged, and it doesn't look I am being attacked by malware anymore. However, I still have problems browsing files and playing media off this computer. Is there any fix besides just making user accounts (tried this before from your suggestion, but it didn't fix the problem)?

Thanks a lot!

Advertisements

bricat

bricat

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 645 posts
try this :-

Go to C:\windows\servicepack files\i386 and scroll down to explorer, right click on it and select COPY.

go back to C:\windows, right click on an empty part of the folder and select PASTE.

right click on the explorer that was there and delete it.
then reboot your computer.

let us know if there is any improvement.

AeroGold1

AeroGold1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks bricat.

I actually don't have a "servicepack files" folder in C:\WINDOWS directory, but there is a C:\WINDOWS\i386 folder that contains an EXPLORER file.

Is this the right file I should be copy/pasting over the current one in Windows dir?

Thanks again.

Edited by AeroGold1, 10 September 2005 - 10:52 AM.

bricat

bricat

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 645 posts
yep that's it. :tazz:

when you paste it into c:\windows it will ask if you want to overwrite the existing explorer, click yes.

Edited by bricat, 10 September 2005 - 02:15 PM.

AeroGold1

AeroGold1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Sorry bricat, when I do a copy/paste, it doesn't overwrite the explorer file already in C:\Windows. This is because the file in C:\WINDOWS\I386 is actually called EXPLORER and is a different type (see screenshot attached to see what I mean). Do I rename it and delete the current "explorer" in C:\Windows ?

Sorry for all the confusion, and thanks again for all your help.

Edited by AeroGold1, 10 September 2005 - 10:57 PM.

bricat

bricat

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 645 posts
there is no screen shot. :tazz:

are they both roughly the same size ?

AeroGold1

AeroGold1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Sorry I guess I didn't attach it properly.

Basically the "explorer" in C:\Windows is 0.98 MB and is of file type application, whereas in C:\WINDOWS\I386 the file is "EXPLORER", is 351 KB and doesn't have an application associated with it (type of file is "EX_ File" and opens with unknown application). I don't think they two match, so do you know where would I be able to get a good replacement explorer file?

Thanks bricat.

bricat

bricat

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 645 posts
do you have a C:\WINDOWS\ SERVICEPACK folder. ?

AeroGold1

AeroGold1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
No, as I mentioned before, I don't have a C:\WINDOWS\ SERVICEPACK folder.
Is there any way of getting the explorer file from elsewhere?

Thanks bricat.

I actually don't have a "servicepack files" folder in C:\WINDOWS directory, but there is a C:\WINDOWS\i386 folder that contains an EXPLORER file.

Is this the right file I should be copy/pasting over the current one in Windows dir?

Thanks again.

View Post

bricat

bricat

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 645 posts
If you have an XP cd.

try running sfc \scannow

click on START\RUN and type CMD into the address bar and click OK.

At the DOS PROMPT type SFC /SCANNOW. note the space between SFC and /SCANNOW. hit enter.

it will replace any files that are missing.

Advertisements

AeroGold1

AeroGold1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi Bricat,

I'm sorry I haven't replied in a while - just moved up to school and only recently got an internet connection set up here. I am getting an XP disc today and will try sfc /scannow later tonight, however, I did try this strategy before on your suggestion (before I got malware for the 2nd time) twice, and it didn't fix my crashing explorer problem then. Is there no other way to get another explorer file to replace the current one in C:/Windows ?

Thanks again for your assistance

bricat

bricat

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 645 posts
you could try removing SP2. and reinstalling it. i think you get a new explorer.exe with SP2.

AeroGold1

AeroGold1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi bricat,

How exactly do I go about uninstalling SP2 and reinstalling it?

Thanks

bricat

bricat

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 645 posts
go to add\remove programs in the CONTROL PANEL.

scroll down to WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 2 click on it then click on remove.

Then go to WINDOWS UPDATE
and install the the service pack and ALL critical updates.

AeroGold1

AeroGold1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi bricat,

When I go to add/remove programs and have "Show Updates" checked off, I don't see any WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 2 listed. I just see Windows Installer 3.1 and Windows XP - Software Updates (of which WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 2) is not listed. There is simply a list of Windows XP Hotfix and Security Update for Windows XP updates. I know I do have SP2 though since I also went to Windows Update page and it can't find any updates that my computer is missing. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks