Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

9-pin internal USB cable needed

• Please log in to reply

Brianstech

Brianstech

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. I've spent hours looking for a longer internal USB 9-pin cable to connect the front ports. I just replaced the mainboard to a client's computer and the cable is about 1 inch too short. The Asrock board didn't include one in the package. The original Compaq wire is 11". Anything 12" or longer would work.

The time spent searching the internet could have been used to hack and solder the original. I've been to all my favorite hardware and cable dealers. I've Googled every variation on the theme to no avail.

I'm amazed at all the bizarre cables and connectors I find easily, but this simple item seems almost non-existent.

Help, anyone?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Brianstech

Brianstech

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Quick update.

I forgot I found one yesterday, I just had to go through the whole checkout process to find the shipping cost. About $10 total, not bad.

I think I'll swing by the local computer shops and electronics distributors within the next week. If that doesn't work I'll either solder an extension, or pay the $10.

So please disregard my earlier request, I was just frustrated. It takes a lot of patience to fix all these PC's, and also the vigilance to keep it in check.

Thanks anyway!