Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP - Unable to Link to Certain Sites

• Please log in to reply

damail

damail

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My daughters laptop has problems when linking to sites within IE.
For example: When accessing her email system, via IE, my daughter attempts to access a link that is included in an email message, she hangs/waits (hour glass), receives a white screen and then the laptop free's...she does not make it out to the link. The indenticle problem happens when she is on a website and she attempts to access an article (which may try to redirect her to another site).

Her laptop has Windows XP Professional, Version: 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633. The laptop has Ad-Aware SE and AVG installed and running. Her laptop works like a top other than this problem. I will note there are some adware infections in some of her regisrty files that Ad-Aware cannot delete...even after reboot.

I've compared her Internet Option settings with my work PC, which runs the same operating system, and all are the same. I've deleted cookies, files, etc...

Cannot solve this problem and she is leaving for school soon...please help!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I will note there are some adware infections in some of her regisrty files that Ad-Aware cannot delete...even after reboot.

This is NOT a good sign.

Please go HERE and follow the directions. If after doing this, the laptop still doesn't work correctly, please post in the Malware forum.

You must free her laptop of all malware before trying to troubleshoot her IE problems as the malware could be directly responsible for it.

makai

damail

damail

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Makai, thanks for your prompt response and help.

I completed steps 1 - 4 as directed by the "please go here" directive. My daughters laptop is still having the same problem. It is clear that Ad-Aware is finding "Critical Objects" for deletion, but is not getting rid of them.

I completed step #5 (downloading and running HijackThis) and have a log file saved to show someone. Specifically, which site/forum should I post the Logfile?
I also have a saved logfile, from Ad-Aware, listing the critical objects found.

My Daughters system information:

Dell Latitude D505 "Laptop" Computer
Purchased directly from Dell
Intel® Celeron® M
processor 1500MHz
1.49 GHz
512MB of RAM
Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 1

damail