Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PS/2 Mouse not working

• Please log in to reply

scmishra

scmishra

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
1.A week back when I turned on my PC noticed that my mouse pointer is not moving. It is a Logitech Scroll PS/2 Mouse and was giving satisfectory performance since last 4 years. My system is Intel 845GL MOBO, Win XP prof, 128 MB DDR RAM, etc
2.I tried to check the device manager, it is not at all available there.
3.Reconnected the mouse to the PS/2 port, Restarted Windows but of no use. 4.Mouse didnot work.
5.Reinstalled the hardware with dificulty. IRQ12 problem found.
6.Checked the mouse with another PC. It worked Fine.
7.Bought a USB to PS/2 connector and connected the mouse with the same- Result mouse worked fine. Subsequently found that my PS/2 keyboard also stopped functioning when connected alone with PS/2 port.( It was working for some time even when ps/2 mouse was bad). Enabled PS/2 keyboard support in BIOS and connected the keyboard to USB to ps/2 connector and it worked fine.

8. Rechecked with PS/2 port it didnot work.Why ???

9. Cleaned the mouse thoroughly. disassembled the system. cleaned the MOBO, checked physical damage near onboard ps/2 port which seems ok. Reassembled the system. Formated the HDD. Reinstalled Win98. But the mouse did not work in PS/2 port. but worked fine with USB to ps/2 connector.

10. Reinstalled Win xp prof. Still same result.

Can any one help. :tazz:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. It could be that the PS2 port is bad. Have you tried another mouse and keyboard on this PC with the same result? That would confirm it.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
same mouse for 4 years? check with another mouse.
I go through a mouse every 6 months roughly, got an optical now and its lasted for ages.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i agree with austin...sounds like the ps/2 ports died....if usb mouse and keyboard work then that would confirm this.

scmishra

scmishra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Any Possibility of rectification of PS/2 port ?

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
I am not sure if I followed you correctly - But are you saying that both Mouse & Keyboard work when connected to USB Ports.

By chance - Did you recently move your computer - or disconnected Mouse & Keyboard? (To clean or whatever)

AND

Is there any chance that the Mouse & Keyboard PS2 Connections were crossed??? (When reconnected) or did someone borrow mouse & Keyboard & connected to wrong ports??

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 15 August 2005 - 01:15 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
jack...the machine works with usb mouse...not ps/2 i think both the keyboard and mouse ports died.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Yes - I agree- Probably is the PS2 Ports - But I am a real HARDWARE Guy - I have to know the "ROOT CAUSE" for all Failures. & I always go back to BASICS 1st - before replacing - It is usually something simple that gets overlooked or "ASSUMED"

But I have seen Mouse & Keyboard PS2 Ports get mixed up - Strangely - but it happens -

I do not know - but did some MS WIN 2K XP UPDATE from Bill Gates start messing with NON MS MICE & Keyboards??? Seems like there are a good many of these Posts - lately

Nice chating with you
Jack123

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you're actually.....THE hardware guy....hehe just makin sure you were up to speed on the issue

scmishra

scmishra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the discussions.

I am sure the ps/2 mouse and keyboard connections are not exchanged.

The initial problem happened when the PC remained idle for 3-4 hours. I last worked with the PC till 4.00 PM in the afternoon. Left the PC on. I recollect that at about 7-8 PM some files are created in the "WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\DataColl" subdirectory. Accidentally I cannot preserve those before formatting the HDD.

On the day of the problem at about 9.00 PM I turned off the PC and when I opened the same again at about 11.00 PM I found that PS/2 mouse was not working.

After lots of exercise I was not successful to get the connection through PS/2 ports. But with a USB to PS/2 converter both the mouse and keyboard (the same mouse and KBD) works fine. Even the mouse became more comfortable than before.

No problem now.

But can u help analysing why the PS/2 ports became dead and what is the solution to revive the PS/2 port.
( I am not a harware engineer/technician but having some technical interest)

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can get a little adapter that lets you plug a ps/2 mouse into a serial port. But ckeck in Device Manager, BIOS and Control Panel for incorrect settings first!

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: PS2 Keyboard – Possible MS UPDATES
Date: 17th AUG- 2005

Keyboard & Mouse problem may be attributed to a “Recent Windows Update”. (?) – Will need some information on Keyboard & Mouse:

(1) – Keyboard MFG & MODEL NUMBER
(2) – Mouse MFG & MODEL NUMBER

Do you recall receiving any [M$ - WINDOWS UPDATES], just prior to your problem?

Review the link on a post that was started July 29th – 2005 – by clicking on link below:

http://www.geekstogo...sult_type=posts

This may apply to your problem – There has been a lot of Posts on Keyboards & Mice – and I am trying to link them together.

Go into [DEVICE MANAGER] & find info on Drivers for Keyboard & Mouse – Suspect that they may have been recently Updated – ??

I will PM Original Poster to check status of : “The requested Post” & ask for a reply to your post. Might be that we are on to something - here

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 17 August 2005 - 04:20 PM.

scmishra

scmishra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks Jack123

As per your advice I am giving the following Information:
1) – Keyboard MFG & MODEL NUMBER= SAMSUNG Multimedia Keyboard P/N :KBMM001SPAAD
S/N :0C072896
(2) – Mouse MFG & MODEL NUMBER = Logitech Scroll Mouse M/N: S-48a
S/N:LZHO4211512 AW

(3)Do you recall receiving any [M$ - WINDOWS UPDATES], just prior to your problem? = I am unable to recall. But perhaps I had blocked auto update [MS - WINDOWS UPDATES]

But some days ago( in June 05) I had manually updated some patches provided with WIN XP SP-2 over my normal Win XP Prof Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpclient.010817.1148)

(4)Go into [DEVICE MANAGER] & find info on Drivers for Keyboard & Mouse – Suspect that they may have been recently Updated – ??
I am unable to get any such trace as my HDD has been formatted in the meantime.

(5) Some Additional Informations: After the initial problem I had run system restore to a date when the Mouse and KBD were fine ; but the same did not give any result. In BIOS setup I had also changed to optimised defaults but the same helped me none.

Edited by scmishra, 18 August 2005 - 09:13 AM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
OK - You hve NON M$ Keyboard & Mouse - Fits into pattern -

Did you review following Post? See if you can use PS2 Mouse & Keyboard in [SAFE MODE] - That may tell if PS2 Port is alive. The (Mouse should = IRQ-12 & Keyboard = IRQ-1)

http://www.geekstogo...sult_type=posts

Download Free EVEREST Home Edition (See Link below) - Install & run
It is easier to get PC Info using this Application

http://www.lavalys.com

I did a PM to Original Poster, but did not get a reply, yet - There is a lot to research on that update

Edited by Jack123, 18 August 2005 - 04:50 PM.

alphanov

alphanov

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Jack123

This looks very similar to my problem. I haven't had chance to run my tower PC up since it received it's last Windows updates (following my deletion of both devices) but will do over the weekend. I'll also check the manufacturer of the keyboard (I've a feeling it's also Samsung!) and report back!

--

Nev