Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Webpage security

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello all.

I'm looking for some software that will allow me to password my website and to prevent people from copying, printing or generally stealing its content.

Any of you know any good programs?

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,490 posts
Hi again Mart. Do you want to limit access to your website to users that have a password? Or, do you want to prevent other sites from stealing your content (and bandwidth) by link without permission?

It would be very difficult to allow access to anyone, and still prevent copying of pictures, and printing of content. That's just against the open nature of the web. There are certain "tricks" like preventing right clicking, but there are also ways around almost anything we can think of.

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I know this is an old topic but I just registered and would like to add something.

It is almost impossible to 'hide' content from a page that is loaded onto a machine.
Even the right click prevention scripts and the 'no highlight' scripts will do nothing to a user looking to steal code or images.
Most servers however will have a place (depending on the server type. windows, unix, etc.) on their website where it will allow 'hot-linking' protection. This will prevent other domains from linking to, thus stealing your images/files, and wasting your bandwith. This however, will not prevent a person from downloading images/files from your server and uploading it to their server. And as for scripts (php, perl, etc.) those are pretty secure. The only source people can see of it is the output of the scripts anyway (echo, print commands).

Hope this helps.