Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't find my drive in XP

• Please log in to reply

uptdenison

uptdenison

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've got an oldish 80 GB maxtor firewire external hard drive that I have previously used with my mac machines. I recently bought a pc laptop running XP home edition and a pcmcia firewire card. Device manager shows both the firewire card AND makes reference to the hard drive when I plug it in as a firewire compatible device, but I can't find the drive or the files in the drive anywhere.

I also can find zero drivers for the device on Maxtor's site and driverguide.com...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Odds are, you are going to have to format it in order for Windows to recognize it..

Try going into Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management..

Click on the Disk Management option on the left and see if it comes up on the right side of that screen..

Murray