Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A wee wireless prob

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I did a repair install of windows and before this my wireless pci card was fine picking up my wireless network ok. So after plpaying around with the router and removing the card reinstalling the software. Couldnt get it to work and with my router i got a free usb wireless pen and it was sitting on my desk because i havent got round to fixing the laptop that i was going to use it with. So i stuck it on not really expecting it to work but i thought what the [bleep] worth a try. And it actually worked and connected to my wireless using the windows service so im sitting here rather puzzled, my usb stick is working fine ive got it sitting on my pc flashing away connecting to my network. But i spent good money on a pci card so i would like to get it working again and im at a loss as what to do to fix it, so any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
" I have a cunning plan" i reinstalled windows with the pci card in the machine so the drivers would be allready on and it says install drivers first card second so im going to reinstall windows with a reformat as soon as i get another partition on the go and get my data backed up.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Have you reinstalled all windows updates? When you do a repair install you lose all the updates. Maybe the pci card drivers are made to work with the most recently updated version of windows, and you may not have that.

If that does not work try completely removing and uninstalling the card and drivers and reinstall the card and drivers again from scratch.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Tried all that. Im just going to stick a partition on for windows and reformat it and install get all the updates and then install the card. Hopin it will work otherwise im going to rma the card

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Do you have wireless security settings enabled? Like WEP, WPA, etc.. Maybe reset the router and start everything from default.

Also some wireless cards cannot function with the Windows Wireless Zero service enabled. Try disabling it by clicking start, run, and type services.msc scroll down to Wireless Zero and double click it. Click Stop, and set it to disabled. Reboot the computer and try again. If that does not help then make sure to set it back to how it was, because you may need it.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

Edited by -=jonnyrotten=-, 08 August 2005 - 02:51 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Allready tried all that, i originally did have the wzc disabled but had to re enable so i could use the usb wifi stick. I had wep then switched to wpa, but when the card went down i disabled it and reset the router thinking it was that causing the prob but no go so its back on wpa and the router is working fine with my wee usb stick. I have pretty much tried everything i can think off apart from the fresh install so im backing up my data onto dvd ram disks but its taking a while.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Right the reforamt didnt work so i am going to RMA the card, dang thing well 2 out of 3 belkin products is ok hopefully the replacement will work better.