Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

system g: is that a problem?

• Please log in to reply

ministry

ministry

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hello!
when i upgraded my computer with some new hardware, i installed xp on a new hdd. first it formatted the hdd and then it installed xp. when it was all done and i rebooted i saw that the system disk was g: and the old hdd was c: d: and e: On these there are no system files or progs. So i got a system disk which is g: And ive never seen this before. Dont know if this is a problem but its unusual. Tried to change it in computer management but no-can-do with system hdd. also tried to use system recovery but when i started that, it said c:windows\. So what should i do...

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
All other Windows operating systems could only install in C: Xp can install on any partition. it dose not realy matter except that you might have to change C: to G: sometimes when doing things.

ministry

ministry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hey!
tanx for the help.
then i just keep my system settings
until...hehe

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if it's really bothering you.....did you just try to rename the system drive (g:) to c: first? or did you try naming the current c: to say f: then naming g: to c?

ministry

ministry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yeah. when i started xp it already had another hdd assigned as c: but there was no progs on this hdd. So i changed this to h: and then i tried to change the g: to c:. But as i said computer management could only change the drive letter on non systemdisks

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
The reason that it could not change the system disk is because it would have to change the registry as well (all the drive references) and this is very risky and would probably end up with the system unbootable. If it realy botheres you Partition Magic 8 can do it if you wan't to.

ministry

ministry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
tanx for the tips. But i think ive just keep the settings. talked to several ppl who also got diff system disks then c: and they aint got any probs so ill figure ill b safe.