Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Helper needs help :(

• Please log in to reply

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Hi,

My sister just dropped her lap top off to me and said...here fix it. Got to love that.

She has a Toshiba Laptop P4 XPhome. Not sure on the other specs.

I just cleaned her lap top of malware about 2 weeks ago. I know she has a good restore point to go back to. but here is the problem.

When you turn the lap top on, the safe mode menu comes up giving you the option to go to Safe Mode, safemode with networking ect.....

If you choose safe mode, it loads up on the files, then just goes back to this menu.

If you choose normal windows, its look like it starting to load windows, then it show a quick BSOD, that you can't read, then reverts back to the safe mode menu. I tried putting a Boot Disc in there, and when I start the computer, it still goes to this menu.

she said she was on aol and download the McAfee and this is supposely when it started happening. (no idea Y she did this, apparently AOL told her to download it...sigh)

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks,

:tazz:

Excal

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is a possibility

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

It says about not using this with OEM

My disc is for sale with a new PC only but Everest shows it as XP Retail

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Excal

Excal

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Thanks Keith for the quick response :tazz:

I put the installation disk in and it laughed at me!

It still goes to that menu. I do have th option of going into setup of the bios. But thats it.

Excal

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it has floppy drive you can get boot disks here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310994

Excal

Excal

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Ok, i made the discs

The problem is it tells me to make my floppy the drive to boot from. When I go into Bios the only options under the boot tab are
  • +Hard Drive
  • +Removable Devices
  • CD-ROM/DVD Drive
  • Network Boot

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Could be it lists the floppy as removeable rather than assigning A to it

Excal

Excal

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
That was the case Keith. But it doesn't look good. Installed all the discs, it then asked me if i wanted to repair, or someother options. So i chose repair. it did some wroking, then just shut off...lol. Did this twice. Will try one more time tommorrow, then its the dreaded R word!

Tom

Excal

Excal

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Sigh......

I got to boot up using my windows installation disc. I get to a windows set up screen that gives me three choices one of them being repair installation.

I hit R then it takes me to a black screen where after a few minutes it tells me to type exit. Then nothing. Goes back to that menu again.

sometimes when I do it, its just shuts off. I think i have no choice :tazz:

Thanks for all your help Kieth ;)

Tom

SamThomas

SamThomas

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I noticed this thread is getting old, but I thought I would give it a try.

I had a friend's laptop (Dell I can't remember the type) that did a similar trick. I am assuming that Windows XP is the operating system?

After the BIOS load press the F8, and there should be a selection there to tell Windows not to keep trying to reboot. This will solve the problem of it rebooting time after time, and then not being able to read that screen flash. It will stay up where you can read it and respond accordingly.

In my instance there were bad boot sectors that were not permitting the system from going all the way into Windows.

Ignore if you have already done this. Just thought I would try since you are helping me on another issue.

-Sam :tazz:

Excal

Excal

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Thanks for trying Sam :)

Sent it out, I found that it still had 22 days left on the warranty :)

:tazz:

Excal