Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Required on "Symantec Shared"

• Please log in to reply

I Know Nothing

I Know Nothing

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,
I'm running McAfee Security Centre. I once downloaded Norton but deleted it from my computer and ran instead McAfee.
I noticed today in my common files folder a file named "Symantec Shared" which is using up 15.7 GB of space on my hardisk.
Is it possible to delete this file and free up some disk space, or is this file still needed for my computer system or should i delete it all together as i think this is related to Norton.
I have deleted the actual Norton program.
Would Love to free up the space its using up and delete this folder alltogether from my system. Would this be a wise move??
I'm also currently using Zone Alarm firewall as well as McAfee Security.
please Help.
Thanks.

Edited by I Know Nothing, 07 August 2005 - 05:59 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I hope you mean 15.7MB in which case you can leave it.

I Know Nothing

I Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Keith Many Thanks for the quick reply.
When i highlight the folder "Symantec shared" in the common folder its showing 15.7GB not MB.
In the folder itself theres a lot of ccApp files and a few folders like decomposers, help, Symsetup, CCPD-LP and IDS. Would it be wise to delete this alltogether.
I dont understand why its such a large file, im checking it now again and its definitly showing the size as 15.7GB
Thanks again.

Dave

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check if you have anything for Symantec in add / remove and remove anything you find.

http://service1.syma...5&osv=&osv_lvl=

Go to section 2 and click SymNRT.exe

I Know Nothing

I Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Keith there was a Norton Internet Security program showing on the add or remove section but when I try to delete this file it wont remove it, im now going to try what you told me and i'll post you the details on the outcome soon.
Thanks again.

I Know Nothing

I Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Right keith, I've now ran the symNRT prog and upon completion it said that the files have been deleted and the computer was restarted.
I've checked the add remove prog and the Norton Internet Security 2005 is still being shown though when i try to delete this again, this time coming up with a message "The installation is missing the file instopts. dat. Setup will now exit.
Any ideas what i may now need to do?
Much appreciated.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type msconfig press enter then start up, remove ticks from anything Symantec, click apply, reboot, tick do not start the config utility at start up when it gets to the desktop. Try to remove from add / remove, if no joy, click start, search, search for Symantec and delete to the recycle bin, search for Norton and delete to the recycle bin, reboot the PC and check again, it shouldd show same amount 15.7GB but in the recycle bin, if the PC runs well for a while, and restarts without issue, then you can remove them from the recycle bin

Try Tune Up Trial

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag which needs a reboot.

I Know Nothing

I Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for all your help regarding this matter, I'll try what you advised in your last post.
seeing as Defrag will probably take some time to finish I shall therefore inform you of the outcome sometime later on in the evening.
Thanks again.

Edited by I Know Nothing, 07 August 2005 - 07:03 PM.

I Know Nothing

I Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Keith,
I tried the msconfig method you suggested although that still hasn't seemed to do the trick.
Nothing related to Symantec is being shown in the msconfig (start up)
Firstly going back to the Common Files Folder then the Symantec folder which is showing 15.7 GB worth of files within that folder.
I opened the symantec folder and whereas before there was various folders within the folder now only two folders are within the Symantec folder one which is named CCPD-LC and the other one is named SymSetup within that SymSetup folder is an icon with the name Temp(A93C9E60-29B6-49da... Setup Symantec Corporation.
I deleted this file to the recycle bin as for the other files not in additional folders but in the Symantec Shared folder there are around 416 DMP files which have the name showing as ccApp-103... underneath them all.
I tried to delete the whole Symantec Shared folder but as I did a message came up saying that the folder was to large for the recycle bin and did i want to permanently delete it to which i replied NO.
I'd be grateful if you would please help with any further advice.
Is a ccApp-103 file important ?
Would it be best if i just left it all alone instead of trying to get back the 15GB thats being eaten up back?
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open the symantec folder, right click empty space then click arrange icons by size, click folder view and change to details, pick the biggest file and press delete, if it goes to the recycle bin, click ok, choose the next biggest and so on until you have a large chunk of your 15 GB back, then reboot and run the PC for a while before emptying the recycle bin.

As far as I can see it is a symantec file which a few have comments about here

http://www.neuber.co.../ccapp.exe.html

It isn't a system process

http://www.processli...ry/files/ccapp/

Run Tune Up registry clean up after moving files, avoid disc clean up which will empty the bin

Edited by Keith, 08 August 2005 - 12:24 PM.

Advertisements

I Know Nothing

I Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Right i've moved each file individually into the recycled bin as well as the two folders which where within the Symantec Shared folder titled CCPD-LC and Symsetup.
I've checked the disk space freed up since the deletion of the files and it is showing more or less the 15Gb which where being used up.
How long would you suggest I keep the files in the recycle bin before deleting them alltogether?
I went onto the link you gave regarding doing a Tune Up registry clean up after moving files as you suggested but once clicking onto the link and gaining access to the site i couldn't find the program to run relating to the clean up.
(Is it a free or trial program or does it have to be purchased)?
Many Thanks for at least clearing up the initial problem and helping me get the disk space back.
Your a GENIUS.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click the link for tune up press download free trial, it is good for a month, when installed click I-Click maintenance and fix anything it shows.

If you have rebooted the PC a few times then it's safe to offload them, just to be extra sure, reboot the PC, run as many programmes as you can and if none of them give a problem, it is OK to empty the bin.

I Know Nothing

I Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
All seems to have gone well Thanks to you Keith.
I have now ran the tune up download and when i ran it it showed over 400 problems which I got fixed.
I'll keep the files in the recycle bin probably for a week whilst trying various programs on start up as you suggested.
Before fixing this problem the computer always used to take time shutting down and I used to get messages like ccApp and so on which was no doubt linked to this problem.
Since fixing this problem this has stopped occuring when the computer shuts down as normal with no messages being shown.
A final Big Thank You for fixing the problem.

Edited by I Know Nothing, 09 August 2005 - 04:24 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank you for letting me know

While you have the tune up trial, use it to optimize the computer configuration and adjust the internet speed, use the next one up if you do not have an exact match for the internet connection speed

I'm testing Tune Up 2006 at the moment, I ran 2004 on a PC and it found one error, then I ran 2006 straight after and it found 120

I Know Nothing

I Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the tip.
I'l continue running it regular whilst i've got the trial period and may even consider purchasing it therafter.
I just ran I click few minutes back and it found another 19 problems so it looks a worthwhile tool to have.
I'll run the other Tune Up Utilities whilst i've got it.
Thanks again.