Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore Showing just a white screen

• Please log in to reply

Fox3inbound

Fox3inbound

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I just went to run Norton, and it's white just like the System Restore Utility...What the...?!?

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Open IE.
Click Tools->Internet Options.
Click on the Security tab.
Click Local Intranet, click on Custom Level.
In the new window choose Medium-Low option in the drop-down menu. Click Reset button. Click Ok.
Now, Click Internet, click on Custom Level.
In the new window choose Medium option in the drop-down menu. Click Reset button. Click Ok.

Reboot.
Try the applications.

Alchemist11

Alchemist11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
User Accounts (In contol panel)

That doesn't work either :tazz:

Help and Support - I don't know where to access it >_>

Yeah so ... any more help?

Alchemist11

Alchemist11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Let me try the rebooting after doing the local internet stuff. Brb.

EDIT: Nope - doesn't work. So its still the white screen. The 2 things you told me to type in run also said, "suceeded" but they didn't work as well.

Edited by Alchemist11, 12 August 2005 - 04:56 PM.

Fox3inbound

Fox3inbound

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I got it to work.... I backed up everything I wanted on my hard drive (i.e. pictures, programs, music, etc..) then, I inserted my recovery disk and restarted my computer... eight hours later, it works and all of the other little bugs are fixed. I hate computers sometimes.

Edited by Fox3inbound, 13 August 2005 - 02:45 AM.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Alchemist,
Start->Run. Type regsvr32 Mshtml.dll. Press Enter.

Alchemist11

Alchemist11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
YES

I LOVE YOU DARTH

Well not really but ... what an annoying problem ... seriusly...

Thanks a lot.

And Fox3inbound you reformatted I guess. I would like to do that but I can't right now (just some reasons). I guess I can close this topic now.

Fox3inbound

Fox3inbound

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
haha, DARTH ROCKS!!! I'm going to save this information just in case! I needed to do a system recovery anyway, I had waaaaaaaay too many problems with the installation and operation of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. Thanks for all your help Darth.

dscri

dscri

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i had this same problem with a blank system restore window and errors with any applications or web pages that use java. i found this very easy fix on another thread and it worked for me and luckily i didn't have to reformat my hard drive :tazz: . i used method #1 below:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=831430

Method 1: Reregister Jscript.dll and Vbscript.dll

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 jscript.dll, and then click OK.
3. Click OK.
4. Click Start, and then click Run.
5. In the Open box, type regsvr32 vbscript.dll, and then click OK.
6. Click OK.

If either of the files do not register as expected, or if you receive an error message, the system file may be missing or damaged. To extract the missing file in Microsoft Windows XP, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type msconfig, and then click OK.
3. Click Expand File.
4. In the File to restore box, type the name of the file that you want to restore.
5. In the Restore from box, type the path of the Windows XP .cab file where you want to restore the file, or click Browse From to locate the Windows XP .cab file.
Note The Windows XP .cab files are stored in the I386 folder on the Windows XP CD.
6. In the Save file in box, type the path where you want to extract the new file, or click Browse To to locate the folder that you want.
7. Click Expand.
8. In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click OK. If you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart

Graffxman

Graffxman

• Pip
  • 2 posts

:)
OMG Darth!
I vow to worship the ground you walk on from this day forward!
:tazz: After spending last 3 sleepless days and nites trying to resolve my problems with this *DAM* pc, you helped me fix it in one sentence - YOU ARE DA MAN! :ph34r:
Briefly, several days ago I started having problems with explorer; First my homepage wasnt coming up and kept going to BLANK, then, my printers disappeared and couldnt add a new one - Print spooler service not running. Under the ABOUT in explorer the Version and Product ID was missing. System Restore was bringing up a blank screen, tried RUN services.msc - Blank screen. Tried file search under Windblows explorer-Blank screen. I began having problems opening Word Docs...
Everything was going to [bleep] and I dreaded having to reinstall all my SW and configs.
First, tried RegCleaner from JV16 Power Tools Power Tools:) (Highly recommended) and fixed SOME problems, specially Reg errors. Then tried Spybot S&D 1.4 (Awesome) and fixed another slop of problems, spyware, etc. Also ran AdAware in conjunction with Spybot. Ran Norton AV and Spyware from laptop thru the network, didnt find anything. The system wouldnt let me install Norton, install always failed.
BTW - Over the last few days Ive ALSO tried just about every possible solution I could find in Forums and Newsgroups - unsuccessfully I might add...
Today, I was left with the blank screen problems and some others, I was seriously contemplating either suicide - or homicide - when I read this thread and your post about RUN Jscript and Run MSMXL ....
Noting that I had ALREADY done ALL of these that I found in other forums:
• Shdocvw.dll
• Msjava.dll
• Actxprxy.dll
• Oleaut32.dll
• Mshtml.dll
• Browseui.dll
• Shell32.dll

I ran the ones YOU suggested and WHAM! So far Ive resolved my blank screens in Services.msc, System Restore, my hompage is back, I can open Word Docs again and the VERSION-PRODUCT ID is BACK in Explorer! :tazz: :)
Now Im going to go thru and check/verify my other systems and programs to see what else is messed up....
THANK YOU!
I'll repost as I get more 411 on what else was wrong and what I did to fix it, hopefully that will someone else!
:ph34r:

Follow-up:
PRINT SPOOLER SERVICE not functioning - Printers disappeared and cant add new.
Now that, THANKS to Darth, I can see my Services.msc screen again, I found out that the service was disabled because several of the dependencies had been disabled as well - Fax, LexBc Server and RPC. I enabled those, restarted Print Spooler and WOW! ALL my printers are back! OMG! Now I'm going to keep checking and verifying integrity of my other progs.... :tazz:

Edited by Graffxman, 30 August 2005 - 10:51 AM.

Advertisements

Graffxman

Graffxman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Status update!

Well, I spent most of the day trying to install that wicked Norton suite but apparently there was some leftover garbage from a previous install that took hours to get rid of using the Symantec KB notes. Got 'er done!
So far, everything seems to be working again, Norton AV/Internet Security is finally installed - and to my sheer amazement - WORKING!
During this process I also installed some really useful free progs, and some ppl might be interested in this - Microwicked's new AntiSpyware removal and Utilities Microsoft AntiSpyware It was interesting to see it actually found and axxed a lot of spyware and trojans on my sys that Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware missed.... :ph34r:

Last but not least, again my sincere thanks to Darth! :)
It will never cease to amaze how that one suggestion of yours solved all my problems - after searching thru dozens of forums and MS KB - NO ONE had this solution.

Darth, you are indeed the "MASTER" ! :tazz:

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
OMG YOU SAVED MY LIFE DARTH!!!! :tazz: :) :)

herrcecil

herrcecil

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same thing, just the white screen. I also had a blank screen for "Search". I finally went to Microsoft's pay-as-you-go tech support. Here's what we did and it worked.
Click on "Start" and then "Run" and type in "command" and hit "Enter". In the window that appears there will be a blinking curser. Type in "regsvr32 /u jscript.dll", then hit "Return"(there is a space after the "2" and after the "u"). On the next line type in regsvr32 /u vbscript.dll", then hit "Enter". This will unregister these corrupted script registries. To re-register them, on the next line type "regsvr32 jscript.dll", "Enter", and on the last line type in "regsvr32 vbscript.dll", "Enter". (Don't type in the quotation marks on any of these) Finally close the window. If you get a warning box you can click "End now". Then do a normal reboot. For me this took care of both issues. I hope it works for you. Good Luck.