Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems after XP repair install

• Please log in to reply

LJborn

LJborn

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz: My son's computer was acting up. Ended up doing windows XP repair install. Afterwards I can't get Internet Explorer to work from his computer. And in the device drivers there is a yellow exclamation point before Microsoft System Management BIOS Driver. Because I can't get on the Internet, I can't put windows XP service packs back on - they aren't visible anymore after the repair install.... I'm thinking the BIOS driver is unhappy because SP2 has vanished.

So, talked to Linksys and to optimum online. I'm not getting a valid IP address - only 0.0.0.0 And when they had me go into command prompts and type ipconfig/renew - get error message: "an error occurred when renewing interface Local Area Connection: The system can not find the file specified."

Dell won't help me. Can't get anyone from Microsoft to help me. Linksys says my TXP/IP tag is corrupted and the files need to be rebuilt, but they said they can't do it.

So what do I do? Are these two problems related? Can somebody tell me how to download SP2 onto my computer and then burn it onto a CD and then is there a way to install it onto my son's computer from the CD? I went to the update website and couldn't figure out how to do that for a single home computer, and I'm not an IT professional.... If I get SP2 onto the computer, will that fix the BIOS driver somehow? I have a resource CD from Dell that supposedly has all the drivers they installed, but it isn't going to have Microsoft drivers right?

I feel like I'm going round and round and not getting anywhere. Can someone help me, or direct me to someone who can? I have these two beautiful big 160gb hard drives that my dad installed back in May on my son's computer, so he wouldn't have space problems with his ITunes, and now he can't even get on his computer anymore....

Thank you to anyone who has ideas for me. Running the repair install was running right at the edge of my computer competency....

Advertisements