Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Still No Sound

• Please log in to reply

Hardcore_x3

Hardcore_x3

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My speakers still are not working.

Here's the problems that I've came across.
* In the Device Manager, under "Other Devices" there are 3 different things with a yellow question mark next to them. They are Multimedia Audio Controller, Ethernet Controller, & SM Bus Controller.
* Ever since my speakers stopped working, they've always had those yellow question marks.
* When I go to Properties, it says, "The drivers for this device are not installed [Code 28]."
* I hear no system sounds, nor can I play CD's or songs on my computer.

It's been like this for about a month now. I'm not sure exactly what to do, but PLEASE try to give me basic information because I am definately not an expert and I can't be sitting here trying to figure out what you're trying to say.

This is an emergency because I can't hear when people IM me when I'm in the other room and there is a serious issue going on within my family. And the internet is the only ways that we can communicate because I do not have long distance on my phone.

Thanks, all, and I appriciate it!

Advertisements

Hardcore_x3

Hardcore_x3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
* I don't have the disk required to download the drivers.
* I don't know which drivers I need.
* I don't think there's anything wrong with my sound card.
* I've tried 2 different speakers.
* Headphones won't even work on either one.
* It was just working fine a month or so ago.
* Huge headache.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi ,

Please tell us what computer you have name and model number.

If you know what sound card you have please list it maybe we can find a driver for it.

Rick

Hardcore_x3

Hardcore_x3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
My computer's operating system is Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

I have the Everest Home Edition program where I can find out what my sound cards are and what-not, I just don't know where to go. And my computer's a Dell, if that helps any. Well, here, let me give you the information it gives me. I'm not sure exactly what you need. And if I post something that shouldn't be on here or should be confidential, then let me know. I'm not an expert.

Motherboard
CPU TYPE: Intel Celeron, 2000 MHz (20 x 100)
CHiPSET: Intel Brookdale-G i845GL
BIOS TYPE: Award (3/24/03)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter: Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0]

Also, when I go to Device Resources, I come across a number of yellow question marks, all still having to do with the Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Device, and the SM Bus Controller. But this time, next to them, it says a Port # and says that the "Share" is undetermined.

Hardcore_x3

Hardcore_x3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I also get the following message when I try to play a test sound using the Direct X Diagnostic Tool: DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use by another caller.)

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Go here and download to the desktop the Integrated Audio driver for your operating system.

Double click the icon and it should install the driver.

Hardcore_x3

Hardcore_x3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
So this should definately do the trick?

Because I don't want to waste an hour or more downloading it, if it's not going to work.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well as far as my research suggests that is the correct driver for the onboard sound of you motherboard i can never guarantee anything unless I actually perform the process.

Rick

Hardcore_x3

Hardcore_x3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay. I downloaded what Doby told me to download.

When I try install it, as soon as it gets to 100%, it says, Driver not found! Please Reboot your Computer then Try Setup Again.

So I rebooted my computer, tried it again. Same thing.

Ugh.

Still...no sound.

Hardcore_x3

Hardcore_x3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay, well I think my problem may be solved.

I contacted Technical Support on Lavalys.com and gave them a full hardware report on my computer. They said that the program I downloaded wasn't discovering my motherboard correctly so they fowarded my report to their R&D team.

As soon as they transferred it, I received another e-mail from the R&D team stating that I needed to download an AC'97 Codec Driver (Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4 (-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0] for my Intel Brookdale-G i845GL chipset based motherboard. They gave me the link to download that driver and you guys can access it too if you have a speaker/sound problem and you have the same chipset based motherboard (Intel Brookdale-G i845GL). Download it by going here: http://www.lavalys.h...rd02/alc20x.zip This link is only active for the next 24 hours, so please make note of that. It's 14.3 MB, so depending upon your internet connection, it could take up to an hour or so.

Although I figured this out on my own, I appriciate all the help you've given me.
And maybe I've helped a few others out!

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
when you go to device manager and see yellow questing marks it means that the drivers are not loaded for that hardware.

if you are still experiencing problems try the the following. while looking at the name with the question mark right click on it and select uninstall/remove (if available), do it for all the yellow ? marks and then reboot the pc, one xp loads you should see a window that states new hardware found and a option to have windows look for drivers or a option for you to select a specific location, choose the option for windows to look for drivers. it should find them if present. once that is done. go back to the device manager to see if you have any more ? marks left over.

hope this helps

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Funny thing is thats the exact same driver I linked you to but apparently the driver on the intel site won't install correctly

kvhawkins

kvhawkins

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello im having several problems with my "newly" used pc any help at all would be greatly appreciated...

I was d/l music and playing it all through the day yesterday but ever since i woke up this morning WMP and several others wont play music at all. Now i know its because of my dumbass "free'n" space on my Hard Drive before i went to bed and probally uninstalling something i shouldnt have...i tried restoring my pc to fix the problem but of course it didnt because i later found out that it doesnt recover uninstalled programs anyway. When i try to play music the error comes up :

"Windows cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

Ive been through many "Trouble-shoots" and have followed countless instructions from the "Help and Support" only to come to no solution. The programs i remember uninstalling that could maybe (i have no clue) have caused this disaster are Realtek AC' 97 which uninstalled the AUDIO,MIDI,MIXER of Realtek AC 97 and some JAVA thing.

When i go to Device Manager and click the "Sound, video and game controllers" it comes up :
-Audio codecs
-Legacy Audio Drivers
-Legacy Video Capture Devices
-Media Control Devices
-Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
-Video Codecs
...and after clicking on each and every one it says "The Device is working properly.."
*Im guessing Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device is my sound card though right?
[ But also under my Device Manage are 4 things with yellow exclamation points on them. One of them is Multimedia Audio Controller (what is this?*) and it is located under a yellow question mark stating "Other Devices" The other two are My communication Ports(labled 1,2). And the last is my Printer port. I tried uninstalling all four and rebooting as told on a review i read but it still couldnt successfully install any of them. (Any one know the cause and solution?*...also my floppy drive isnt working properly and has exclamation point on it]

After going to the "Run" under start and typing dxdiag, i went to the Sound tab.

Under Device ; Name: Unimodem #0 Line Playback(emulated)
Device ID:
Manufactuer ID:1
Product ID: 81
Type: Emulated
Default Device : Yes

Under Drivers; Nothing(All blank)
After clicking on "Test DirectSound", this error displayed:
DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use by another caller.)
..anyone know a the cause and/or solution?*

Under Music Tab; Music Port
Description :Microsoft Synthesizer
Type:Software
Kernal Mode:No
In/Output:Output
Support DLS: Yes
External:No
Default Port:Yes
After clicking "Test DirectMusic" the following error displayed:
DirectMusic test results: Failure at step 6 (Activating the IDirectMusicPort): HRESULT = 0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use by another caller.)
..anyone know the cause and/or solution?*
Recap:
1.What type is my sound card or how do i find out?
2.How to fix my comp and/or sound card so it will play music as before(24 hours ago)
3.Why are all these drivers(the ones i named above) suddenly coming up with exclamation marks and why arnt they d/l them succesfully via how to fix it.
4.Do i need/ or do you reccomend to buy a new sound card..or a better one than i have?

Im sorry for taking so much space on your thread. Im just very tired and exausted from reading so many "Help Guides" and still not coming to a solution. And to put the icing on the cake, i just bought this refurbished computer yesterday so i hope you can understand the frustration.
Here are some things about this computer if it will help:
eMachines Model T4480
Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.4 Ghz
Microsoft XP Home Edition SP2
512 DDR memory
Stereo Speakers
Sound Card: i think its the Unimodem Half-duplex as mentioned above but i honestly have no clue if i have one anymore...but i was playing music yesterday but now cant.(i uninstalled things tho)

Any help would be greatly appreciated..again im sorry for the long thread.
-Signed- FRUSTRATED IN INDIANA