Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Zone alarm firewall

• Please log in to reply

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hey people,

in installed the lastest and new version of Zone alarm Fireall, the free one.

Now when I go to the Firewall>Zones area I find that there is 2 entrys.

Name: WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Ip address/ Site: Not giving this out
Entry Type: Adapter Subnet
Zone: Internet

That above is for my USB Modem that I have for DSL

now this on Im not sure on:

Name: Loopback Adapter
IP Address/ Site: 127.0.0.1
Entry Tyoe: IP Address
Zone: Trusted

What is that adapter?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The Microsoft Loopback adapter is a testing tool for a virtual network environment where network access is not available. Also, you must use the Loopback adapter if there are conflicts with a network adapter or with a network adapter driver. You can bind network clients, protocols, and other network configuration items to the Loopback adapter, and you can install the network adapter driver or network adapter later while retaining the network configuration information.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
So is this a safe thing this Loopback adapter?

No hackers can use it from my comptuer right?

Is this for my DSL? cause I am no long on a network where I am.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Zone alarm is forgiving, if you remove it from its place in Zone alarm, you will be prompted to allow it next time you do anything which needs it.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Back to what I ask:

So is this a safe thing this Loopback adapter?

No hackers can use it from my comptuer right?

Is this for my DSL? cause I am no long on a network where I am.

Brian Kueck

Brian Kueck

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yes it's a safe thing. No, hackers can't use it from your computer. A hacker wouldn't care about a loopback adapter... if they had access to your modem or network adapter.

A loopback adapter is the same thing as a circular loop from your computer, back into your computer. A modem or network adapter would allow hackers to reach out and gain access to other computers.

Hackers want to reach into your computer and either get something, destroy something or reach out to another computer to hide their criminal activity and/or block everyone from getting to a specific computer (AKA a famous web site). Hackers would be trying to setup an impossible trace path back to them, so cops can't find them. (I have never attempted to gain access to anyone else's computer, because cops always find hackers!)

Back to the loopback adapter & how it works....
Before I became a webmaster, I used to build a DOS-based Bulletin Board System (BBS). I had 2 modems setup in my PC. To test what my callers were seeing, I would dial out on one modem (on one phone number/line) and call into my 2nd modem (on another phone number/line). Then I could see how it looked from other users point of view. All that I was doing was creating a loop from my PC to my phone company and back into my PC. I wasn't going out to the Internet, during that process.

The Loopback adapter works under the same principle. If your not connected to the Internet and you don't have a network adapter setup, you can use the loopback adapter to let Windows "think" that there is a network adapter installed on your PC. When in reality there isn't one. Then the PC calls the Loopback adapter (think phone company), then back to your PC. It doesn't go through the Internet. Hackers wouldn't care about it, because it would be a waste of their time.

If you want to, you can remove the loopback adapter. In later versions of Windows, Microsoft doesn't install it by default. If you remove it and later on want to install it manually, check out this URL. http://msdn.microsof...backAdapter.asp

For the record, the "good guy hackers", who are the paid security consultants that try to make sure corporate data is safe and secure, are called "hackers". The "bad guy hackers", who rip off passwords, credit card data, create viruses, and wreck havoc, are called "crackers". The media likes to call both of those users "hackers" by mistake. I have intentionally "made that mistake" in this reply, because until now, you didn't know the difference. Now re-read my post again, but this time substitute every instance of "hacker", with the word "cracker". Enjoy! :tazz:

Brian Kueck
Webmaster / Computer Programmer
http://www.briankueck.com