Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winfixer Is Gonna B the Death of me [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
umm i cant update my windows xp at the website..it wont let me and i have a legit version that came wit my PC...so idk what is goin on but i have alotta hotfixes and i guess that means that i can have more malware attacks.? im not sure let me know tho thanks alot for helpin me clean my computer!!! u were a great help!

Advertisements

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi bloodsworld,

Download: Registry Search Tool (RegSrch.zip) [freeware] from
http://billsway.com/vbspage/

unzip and double-click "RegSrch.vbs"
Note: if your Antivirus or another program prompts about running a script file, allow the script to run.

Type in "WindowsUpdate" and wait, you will get a prompt to open the results in Wordpad.

Copy and paste the contents in your next message.

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
REGEDIT4
; RegSrch.vbs © Bill James

; Registry search results for string "WindowsUpdate" 8/10/2005 3:28:55 PM

; NOTE: This file will be deleted when you close WordPad.
; You must manually save this file to a new location if you want to refer to it again later.
; (If you save the file with a .reg extension, you can use it to restore any Registry changes you make to these values.)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{C2E88C2F-6F5B-4AAA-894B-55C847AD3A2D}]
@="WindowsUpdateAgentInfo Class"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{85713FA1-7796-4FA2-BE3B-E2D6124DD373}]
@="IWindowsUpdateAgentInfo"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Microsoft.Update.AgentInfo]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Microsoft.Update.AgentInfo.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\WindowsUpdate]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]
"ODFFileURL"="http://v4.windowsupd.../odf/wuodf.xml"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\IUControl]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OemInfo]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Reporting]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Reporting\EventCache]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Reporting\EventCache\Sus]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Reporting\EventCache\WU]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Services]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Services\7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Setup]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Setup\ServiceStartup]

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-564521455-3385895131-1052651180-1009\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\microsoft.com \*.windowsupdate]

there it is...

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
was a virus makin me not able to update or is my computer just messed up? i dunno...

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi bloodsworld,

The reason for it would most probably be that some infection reset your system settings. We need to correct those settings.

There are two things that you need to do -

1. Copy the following in a new text file in Notepad and savfe it as check.bat (make sure the Save as Type is set to All Files) -

regedit /e peek.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU"
regedit /e peek2.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU"
regedit /e peek3.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate"
regedit /e peek4.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate"
type peek.txt>>look.txt
type peek2.txt>>look.txt
type peek3.txt>>look.txt
type peek4.txt>>look.txt
del peek*.txt

start notepad look.txt

Paste the contents of look.txt in your next reply.

2. It is quite possible that your Browser ActiveX settings are not allowing Microsoft to update your software (Only Microsoft can do it to itself). Do you have a pop-up blocker ?? Please disable it. Open Internet Explorer. Click on Tools ---> Popup blocker. If you see "Turn off pop up blocker", then click on it.

Now try updating Windows. It may throw up a warning that Active X component is being downloaded / installed. Allow it.

Let me know how it goes.

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
ok i did that but the look log came up blank, nothing showed at all...and i do not have a pop-up blocker, i have microsoft antispyware? maybe thats it but i dunno...

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi bloodsport,

Can we try this -

Right click on My Computer on your desktop, properties and Automatic Updates tab. Click on "Download Updates for me, but let me Choose when to install them".

Reboot the PC and let me know if you have any updates which get downloaded

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
ok i did that and nothing happened..no updates popped up or anything, i dunno what the deal could be??

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Let me check with a few experts and revert.

Can you confirm that you have administrative rights on the PC thorugh your login profile ????

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
umm yea i guess so? im the only one that uses it so yeah..

Advertisements

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Copy the following in a new text file in Notepad and savfe it as check.bat (make sure the Save as Type is set to All Files) -

regedit /e peek.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate"
regedit /e peek2.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate"
regedit /e peek3.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate"
regedit /e peek4.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate"
type peek.txt>>look.txt
type peek2.txt>>look.txt
type peek3.txt>>look.txt
type peek4.txt>>look.txt
del peek*.txt

start notepad look.txt

Double click on check.bat to let the batch file run. Paste the contents of look.txt in your next reply.

BTW, you have you got any errors related to windows update ??? Let me know about it you have. Also seems silly to ask at this stage, but are you using Internet Explorer (and not any other browser) for getting the updates. Microsoft doesnt like any other browser downloading updates from their site !!!!!!

Edited by tampabelle, 12 August 2005 - 08:19 AM.

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
ok i did that and the look log came up empty again..i use only internet explorer..i go to the microsoft.com website and i click GET UPDATES and everything goes good, it tells me i need to install windows pack 2 or something and then i click install and it starts to install then all of a sudden it says FAILED CANNOT INSTALL i dont know why?

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi, try two things -

1. *Please go here (Microsoft website) using Internet Explorer ( not Firefox or any other browser as they won't work)
*Click on "Windows Validation Assistant"
*Click on the "Validate Now" button.
*Be patient while the ActiveX loads, do not click on any links.
*Read the instructions on this page while it's loading. You will be prompted to install - click YES.
*Enter your product key then click "continue"
*When it says "Validation Complete" please click "Continue to return to your previous activity"
*Copy what it says and paste it here.
2. Please go to this page - http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Download SP2. Run the downloaded file to install it.

Let me know how it goes

Edit : Try this also -

This issue can also occur if the system files that will be used by the Windows Update have not been registered. Since there are many system files need to be checked, I suggest we use the following method to re-register these files:

1. Click Start, Run, type: notepad C:\register.bat and press Enter. Choose Yes when you are prompted.
2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window.

regsvr32 comcat.dll /s
regsvr32 shdoc401.dll /s
regsvr32 shdoc401.dll /i /s
regsvr32 asctrls.ocx /s
regsvr32 oleaut32.dll /s
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /I /s
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /s
regsvr32 browseui.dll /s
regsvr32 browseui.dll /I /s
regsvr32 msrating.dll /s
regsvr32 mlang.dll /s
regsvr32 hlink.dll /s
regsvr32 mshtmled.dll /s
regsvr32 urlmon.dll /s
regsvr32 plugin.ocx /s
regsvr32 sendmail.dll /s
regsvr32 scrobj.dll /s
regsvr32 mmefxe.ocx /s
regsvr32 corpol.dll /s
regsvr32 jscript.dll /s
regsvr32 msxml.dll /s
regsvr32 imgutil.dll /s
regsvr32 thumbvw.dll /s
regsvr32 cryptext.dll /s
regsvr32 rsabase.dll /s
regsvr32 inseng.dll /s
regsvr32 iesetup.dll /i /s
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll /s
regsvr32 dispex.dll /s
regsvr32 occache.dll /s
regsvr32 occache.dll /i /s
regsvr32 iepeers.dll /s
regsvr32 urlmon.dll /i /s
regsvr32 cdfview.dll /s
regsvr32 webcheck.dll /s
regsvr32 mobsync.dll /s
regsvr32 pngfilt.dll /s
regsvr32 licmgr10.dll /s
regsvr32 icmfilter.dll /s
regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx /s
regsvr32 inetcfg.dll /s
regsvr32 tdc.ocx /s
regsvr32 MSR2C.DLL /s
regsvr32 msident.dll /s
regsvr32 msieftp.dll /s
regsvr32 xmsconf.ocx /s
regsvr32 ils.dll /s
regsvr32 msoeacct.dll /s
regsvr32 inetcomm.dll /s
regsvr32 msdxm.ocx /s
regsvr32 dxmasf.dll /s
regsvr32 l3codecx.ax /s
regsvr32 acelpdec.ax /s
regsvr32 mpg4ds32.ax /s
regsvr32 voxmsdec.ax /s
regsvr32 danim.dll /s
regsvr32 Daxctle.ocx /s
regsvr32 lmrt.dll /s
regsvr32 datime.dll /s
regsvr32 dxtrans.dll /s
regsvr32 dxtmsft.dll /s
regsvr32 WEBPOST.DLL /s
regsvr32 WPWIZDLL.DLL /s
regsvr32 POSTWPP.DLL /s
regsvr32 CRSWPP.DLL /s
regsvr32 FTPWPP.DLL /s
regsvr32 FPWPP.DLL /s
regsvr32 WUAPI.DLL /s
regsvr32 WUAUENG.DLL /s
regsvr32 ATL.DLL /s
regsvr32 WUCLTUI.DLL /s
regsvr32 WUPS.DLL /s
regsvr32 WUWEB.DLL /s
regsvr32 wshom.ocx /s
regsvr32 wshext.dll /s
regsvr32 vbscript.dll /s
regsvr32 scrrun.dll mstinit.exe /setup /s
regsvr32 msnsspc.dll /SspcCreateSspiReg /s
regsvr32 msapsspc.dll /SspcCreateSspiReg /s
exit

3. After you paste the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Yes when you are prompted to save the file.
4. Click Start, Run, type: C:\register.bat and press Enter to run the commands we have pasted.

Now try update again.

Edited by tampabelle, 12 August 2005 - 06:28 PM.

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
hey i tired both and nothing worked..on the second attempt that u told me to do i downloaded it but when it was installing it popped up setup error sayin that the setup has detected that the version of the servicepack installed on my system is lower than what is necessary to apply the hotfix...it also says at minimum, you must have service pack 2 installed...i dont know what that means becuz thats what i was tryin to do

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Do you have the Windows XP CD ????