Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W98 lockup IE or FFox

• Please log in to reply

germo

germo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I often get my internet apps locking up on me. Happens while surfing, internet, timing variable. Couple times a day perhaps. Happens with IE or Firefox. Mouse and keyboard do not lockup. Cannot quit app. When lockup happens, *I try start menu restart; screen goes shaded, I get the 'cannot close application...' window, with choices 'wait' or 'end task'. If I choose 'wait', nothing happens for a long time; if I choose 'end task', dialog box closes, but nothing happens. Cycle can be repeated starting from *.

If I use ctl-alt-del, same thing, I get a choice of the things running and no matter which I choose, I get the dialog box 'cannot close application...' and thereafter same as above.

But occasionally I will get the blue screen at this point, which says press any key to continue or press ctl-alt-del again for restart. Neither works.

Sometimes when this happens if I move the mouse a lot, as I move it, the computer begins to make a series of clicking noises out the speakers. Rate varies as rate of moving mouse. 5-15Hz est.

The only way out of it is to do a power down and restart by holding the start button on the front of the computer down for 5-10 seconds. After restart scandisk runs, and computer comes up ok until the next time it happens. If there is a correlation to helper apps such as acrobat reader or others, I don't see it. Also see no correlation to which websites I have visited. Typically newspapers and blogs.

Have done all the steps rec in topic 2852, always comes up clean of viruses and other malware. W98SE/IE current. IBM Netvista 6018. BIOS current.

Any ideas out there?

Garry W.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
When in doubt run System File Checker. Go Start>Run, type in sfc, hit OK and follow the prompts on the GUI. It will ask you whether you want to replace a file. You may need your installation disk if you don't have the cabinet files in your computer.

germo

germo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Update:
I ran sfc, it said that 'setupx.dll' was corrupted. I bought a used corporate computer with a w98 license, no disks, so I searched around and found another setupx.dll at dll-files.com. I substituted the new one manually and rebooted and have not had a lockup in a few days, so looking good.

SFC is a very useful function, I was not aware of its existence. Thanks for the help.

GW