Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton strikes again

• Please log in to reply

boppies

boppies

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Please help. Windows XP - Norton Internet Security - use Outlook to get Comcast and other mail - started getting error message that Norton needed to be uninstalled and reinstalled. Hate Norton. Uninstalled it - won't let me finish uninstalling it - now, can't open any saved file - tells me my virus program advises it is infected. It isn't. Please tell me how to rid my system of Norton - happy to buy a different program - this one has screwed me up from day 1. THANK YOU!
Susan

Advertisements

tunads

tunads

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
i been through this and i'll still stand by norton as a GREAT ANTI-VIRUS :tazz: program. the rest of the programs are so so at best :cheers: (GoBack sucks and if you have it installed remove it right away!!!!!! :spoton: ). any way, to get everything off try this:

http://www.symantic.com/symnrt.exe

this will knock every scrap of norton off your system so you can start fresh.

another sugestion would also be to use Thunderbird ;) :) as your email program:

http://www.mozilla.o...ts/thunderbird/

super easy to switch from outlook.

hope this helps :rockon:

boppies

boppies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you so much for your reply. I ended up getting Norton off of the computer (after a big struggle) and I ended up downloading freeware (AVG) which, along with Ad-aware and Search & Destroy and Counter Spy and if that doesn't work, then I give up.

I will keep your advice in case I decide to reload Norton - but my computer runs SO MUCH better without it!

Susan

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Actually, Norton is good for what it does, but it's also a pain because of how it does it! It just plain runs too much crap in the background and is not user friendly for those not accustomed to it's interface. No matter what computer I'm on, Norton must go!!

Just my opinion of course! :tazz:

tunads

tunads

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
i found that file after a similar situation happened to myself. i installed a new hard drive and norton got confused and deactived itself. so i call tech support (they could hardly speek english :tazz: ) and after an hour and a half ;) they sent me that url in a email and it worked.

reinstalled norton with little problem, and have been good to go every since :)

boppies

boppies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks so both Makai and Tunads - as for my system, I have a Dell Desktop - Dimension 4600 - running XP with service pack 2 installed, pentium 4 3066 mhz, 512 sdram, intel graphics controlller 96 mb, intel extreme graphics 2 - what else did you need?

Thanks again - everything seems to be running smoothly now that Norton is off!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I must say i dont mind norton i have used it on and off for a while i am using it now only for the sake that ii got it free and the scanner is easy enough to use. I think i have tried every free virus scanner out there and while AVG is ok its system scanner is really bad. The two best anti virus programs i have ever senn are Avast(free for home users and well finished and updated regualrly) and NOD32, nod is unbeliavably good last time i looked they still had a 100% track record for catching and getting rid of viruses it has a 30 day trial and if it cant clear viruses from your system nothing can.