Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop: 0x00000024

• Please log in to reply

boothtech

boothtech

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a HP notebook with Windows XPP spk2. Mysteriously it has come up with a stop 0x24 error blue screen.

It will not boot into safe mode, restore last known configuration does not change anything. I can boot from a XP Setup Disk but cannot enter the recovery consol, it comes up with the same message. Also If I attemp a windows repair installation, it comes up with the same problem.

This is where I removed the hdd from the notebook and placed it in a desktop pc. Bios detects it fine, windows begins to load and automatically restarts before the welcome screen. Without the notebooks hdd, that pc works fine.

Short of destroying the partition, is there any other way of salvaging the informing on the drive??

Advertisements

boothtech

boothtech

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I installed the HDD into a win 2003 server PC. It detect and it didn't crash the system but could not access the hdd. there was no drive letter assigned in the computer management consol.

Does anyone know how to boot from a floppy disk so I can delete and copy a new ntfs.sys file to the windows\system32\drivers folder.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Download any one of the following Boot Cds:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
or
http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm.

Use one of their File Explorers to perfrom ur operation.
If u had SP2 installed on ur XP, a backup copy of the ntfs.sys will be in the X:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386.
(Where X: is the drive letter where ur XP was installed.)

BTW... Its really wierd that the repair XP installtion option works and the Recovery Console does'nt.

boothtech

boothtech

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
At this stage I am at a big loss.

I have booted from a ghost floppy and cloned the hdd to another hdd without errors, but I cannot boot from a NTFS O/S that will allow me to boot from even another HDD with this HDD on the system.

It appears as soon as the NT O/S access the drive, it throws it hands in the air and thinks it is all to hard, flashes up the stop 0x24 blue screen and reboots.

To clarify, I cannot run recovery consol or repair installation from the XP cd. when trying to access the recovery consol the stop 0x24 blue screen appears and the system stops with the same result when the repair function attempts to scan the hdd.

I have tryed booting from the ultimate boot cd, but when trying to rename or delete ntfs.sys, I keep geeting a error message indicating the file is already in use and access is denied.