Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard and mouse not working

• Please log in to reply

wolves1000

wolves1000

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was given a friends computer to fix, the first problem was, it was hung big time, you could not do anything but pray. I then preceded to overide the config.sys file which was helpful I was able to get around and work on the other problems. The system is a compaq presario 5000 with ME, out of no where the computer starts locking up again, after that the mouse and keyboard are out of business. The keyboard lights are on but nothing. I have more than one computer and parts, so I checked to make sure the stuff works and it does. This is the first time I have been without both of those items. What do I do? I asume that since the keyboard has power that the ports are working. These are not usb item, if there was a short then the keyboard would not light up correct? Since the computer is old could the motherboard be the problem or the power supply? Without the keyboard how can I change anything in the system, I can get around with out a mouse but not the keyboard. Help!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I see a lot of those show up as used or surplus, so I beleive they must have some generic problems. I saw one for $20 at a thrift store the other day! I suspect if you Google that model you will find a lot of information on it's problems. In fact I did, and there was a lot about them.

PS: I Googled "presario 5000" +problem and got 11,800 entries, then I tried another popular model, the 5222 and only got 42 entries.

Edited by Tyger, 07 August 2005 - 09:11 PM.

wolves1000

wolves1000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have searched high and low that is why I am in this forum, I need more then search more. Is there a program that I can throw on a floppy that will run by itself without my input to find the problems or fix the problems?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The only positive suggestion I've found so far is to reload the BIOS defaults in Setup. If you have to do it more than once check the CMOS battery.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Here try this link . . . it is this same Forum, but in [Hardware]
It is only a click away! This is a Pinned Article by a Staff Member

Know this not a new build . . . but the problem you have is a NEW BUILD TYPE. . .and without a keyboard . . . its hard!!

Here try this link . . . it is this same Forum, but in [Hardware]
It is only a click away! This is a Pinned Article by a Staff Member

New build computer problems?

http://www.geekstogo...ems-t28727.html

Sorry but, having trouble getting link to paste

Also try looking [Similar Threads] There are a lot of this same problem being discussed . .Don't confuse any by adding/injecting your problem - but if you have some info to add - go ahead add

You can scroll to top of the thread & Click on [TRACK THIS TOPIC] & then Click [Proceed] to keep posted for new entries . . .Just add to be e-mailed on New Posts. . .that way you won't have to keep looking/searching for it all the time. . .

Edited by Jack123, 07 August 2005 - 10:05 PM.