Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New motherboard, no video

• Please log in to reply

Lacy

Lacy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
;) I've been loosing sleep over this one for 3 days now. I just bought a GIGABYTE RZ Series Motherboard (8S651M-RZ (-C)) SiS 651 chipset. And an intel Celeron D Processor 2.40 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 256 KB L2 Cache. I also purchased 256MB of 400MHz DDR RAM. These are the new componants I got to go along with some of my older componants. I put the chip into the motherboard and attached a 300W power supply. Then a 20Gb hard drive, a floppy drive, and a cd-rom drive and a cd-r/rw drive.
The motherboard has an onboard VGA (SiS651 chipset), I plugged it in and I couldn't get nothing but a blank black screen, no bios, no nothing. I know it must be something simple that I have overlooked but for the life of me I can't get my finger around it. I get no video. Monitor is on and working but constantly remains blank. Please help me find some light in an ever dark monitor. :tazz:

Edited by Lacy, 08 August 2005 - 02:12 PM.

Advertisements

tenbroya

tenbroya

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
So you don't even get into BIOS.

Hmmmmmm....

Have you checked the power supply with a multimeter to check its throwing out the right voltages, sometimes even if they get a bit hot some wires may melt together and short the whole computer. (Happened to me twice!!!!!).

You should be able to find a diagram of Voltages on this site:

http://www.fonerbooks.com/power.htm

At just over halfway down the page. To measure turn your multimeter to something like the V 20 setting. You put the black probe in the ground wires and test the others with the red probe.

Check your voltages against the ones in the chart.

If you find a huge difference (a difference of 1 or 2 volts won't make a difference) then you are either measuring it wrong or the PSU is screwed.

Post back if you have any problems with this.

Tenbroya

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
check these,

1-make sure your power supply is plugged into the outlett (working one) on back of power supply there should be a indication of available power, by some sort of led light
2-make sure your power supply is properly connected to the drives and motherboard (motherboard should have 2 connection to power supply)
3-if your power supply has a on/off toggle switch press to on position

if all is good start pc :tazz:

Lacy

Lacy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

check these,

1-make sure your power supply is plugged into the outlett (working one) on back of power supply there should be a indication of available power, by some sort of led light
2-make sure your power supply is properly connected to the drives and motherboard (motherboard should have 2 connection to power supply)
3-if your power supply has a on/off toggle switch press to on position

if all is good start pc ;)

View Post

:tazz: First thing I did. Fan on power supply works and it also powers the fan to the CPU. Any other Ideas?

Lacy

Lacy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

So you don't even get into BIOS.

Hmmmmmm....

Have you checked the power supply with a multimeter to check its throwing out the right voltages, sometimes even if they get a bit hot some wires may melt together and short the whole computer. (Happened to me twice!!!!!).

You should be able to find a diagram of Voltages on this site:

http://www.fonerbooks.com/power.htm

At just over halfway down the page. To measure turn your multimeter to something like the V 20 setting. You put the black probe in the ground wires and test the others with the red probe.

Check your voltages against the ones in the chart.

If you find a huge difference (a difference of 1 or 2 volts won't make a difference) then you are either measuring it wrong or the PSU is screwed.

Post back if you have any problems with this.

Tenbroya

View Post

Everything seems fine. I still get no video. Anything else you could suggest?? :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Try this troubleshooter and see if anything in it helps out.

Rick

rjr1876

rjr1876

• Pip
  • 1 posts
check if the board is shorted. It happened to me once, same syndrome like yours, so I unpluged everything, reseat the mother board again, and it worked. If it still doen't, you can lay the mother board on a wooden table (or any insulated surface), then connect just the the power supply, monitor & keyboard. Power it up and see what happens? Sometimes an improper designed casing will short part of the mother board

good luck

tai